onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

PayPal help/advice?

TylerB

Thanks mate!

What I think has happened, and I could easily be wrong, is that the laptop I purchased was owned by some kid, and it was him that was answering my questions about it and who I was trying to sort the eBay payments out with. He generally didn't have a clue. Upon payment via PayPal I think he was just a bit lackadaisical about posting it, and once I sent a message saying that I have his address and would contact the police if I felt I was being scammed he went running to one of his parents, who I've been dealing with since and have been very responsive and helpful. The proof will be in the pudding tomorrow once the laptop arrives I guess, but all I wanted to put my mind at ease was a tracking number and I finally got that, so hopefully I won't have to open up a case with PayPal and/or contact my credit card company.

I certainly won't be doing it again though, or buying from an eBay member that isn't established.

Most sellers on Ebay are well established but like you said earlier in the thread everyone's got to start somewhere.I tend to have a group of sellers who I have confidence in,and have purchased from them for years.Any new sellers I go to I tend to look for a 95% plus seller score.

Advert

Most sellers on Ebay are well established but like you said earlier in the thread everyone's got to start somewhere.I tend to have a group of sellers who I have confidence in,and have purchased from them for years.Any new sellers I go to I tend to look for a 95% plus seller score.

Yeah, in fairness the laptop (an Alienware 17) was an absolute steal at £650 with free P&P providing it's in the condition the seller described it as been in, so I purchased it before I even noticed that he had 0 feedback and only joined eBay the evening before. That said, I sell a lot of things and despite me always pleading that people only bid if they have more than 10 feedback, the amount of times some plonker has purchased it the item with 0 feedback and then haven't bothered to actually make payment is ridiculous of late.

So the laptop did arrive, and as expected, the seller sent me nothing like what was advertised. Upon opening the outer box I had to spend minutes cleaning stains from the laptop. You would expect sellers to at least clean their items before they send them, especially when they try to pass off said item for new! I then spent around an hour removing a whole bunch of malware and system errors to find that the graphics card was a lesser one, and it had 8GB RAM less than was advertised. To say I was fuming at the time would be an understatement.

Anyway, it's not all bad. The seller has agreed to a partial refund, and now that I've cleaned up the system both internally and externally I plan to whack in a Samsung 120GB SSD and it will sell for around £1,000 on eBay, so as I only paid £650 for it it's going to be a nice little earner and worth changing my morning plans for really! :cool:

So the laptop did arrive, and as expected, the seller sent me nothing like what was advertised. Upon opening the outer box I had to spend minutes cleaning stains from the laptop. You would expect sellers to at least clean their items before they send them, especially when they try to pass off said item for new! I then spent around an hour removing a whole bunch of malware and system errors to find that the graphics card was a lesser one, and it had 8GB RAM less than was advertised. To say I was fuming at the time would be an understatement.

Anyway, it's not all bad. The seller has agreed to a partial refund, and now that I've cleaned up the system both internally and externally I plan to whack in a Samsung 120GB SSD and it will sell for around £1,000 on eBay, so as I only paid £650 for it it's going to be a nice little earner and worth changing my morning plans for really! :cool:

Glad this has a good resolution with you as a winner - get your money back and a profit!

Archived