onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Normal life

geosname

I did the hospital run yesterday, my wife has lupus so has to attend regularly, the hospital is 45 miles away so we start early, about 6.30am, and driving through the villages to reach the main road. I was saddened by the usual lines of villagers kneeling in the dirt waiting for the monks to arrive for their daily gift of early morning food... not because of the giving but because of the lofty position of the monks against the kneeling in the dirt of the poor who give.

Advert

It seems its sugar season again, the roads are littered with sugar cane as its transported to the refinery. Large wagons pulling equally large trailers piled high with long bamboo like canes chugging up the road in their hundreds and the stink of the factory wafting across the villages.

I knew little about sugar until I came here, I dont know a lot now, and saw the fields upon fields of what looks like elephant/pampas grass.

Apparently its planted and left until it reaches 10 feet or so high and the leaves are dry and brown, then its scorched by fire, cut down [mainly by hand] loaded by machine and carted off to be processed. The field is then scorched again and left and a second years growth appears.... The canes are crushed for the juice/sap they contain which is then processed to make sugar.

Ive also learned a little about pineapples and bananas, from one plant you can keep a constant supply. Bananas, when the have reached a certain height grow offshoots from the base, each of these large shoots are split off, planted and another plant grows... and so on... the original plant dies after producing its crop... pineapples are quite similar... no they dont grow on trees or supermarket shelves... each plant produces numerous offshoots which are split off and grown repeat, repeat etc etc.

I didnt realise how many different bananas there were or how difficult it was to peel a pineapple.

Talking of motor bikes reminded me of when in india. I saw a whole family on one motorbike. Dad driving with mum on the back, child in the middle and another kid in her hands. No helmets. and anyone who has been on roads in india, its scary enough. Honking your horn as you cut people up seems the accepted etiquette to the point that lorries have it painted on the backs of their doors telling you to honk.

I saw the same in Indonesia but on a scooter, Dad driving, Mother behind holding what looked like a new born baby.

What I like about here in Oz is when you rent, you only pay electric no water bills. Well where I've lived anyway. No council tax is paid when renting. No TV licence is paid either. Just shows how much our government takes advantage of us. I read somewhere the other day that the vast majority of your national insurance goes to the government, so in affect another little side tax they cop you with.

What I like about here in Oz is when you rent, you only pay electric no water bills. Well where I've lived anyway. No council tax is paid when renting. No TV licence is paid either. Just shows how much our government takes advantage of us. I read somewhere the other day that the vast majority of your national insurance goes to the government, so in affect another little side tax they cop you with.

Rentals here are for the property, bills are not included unless agreed beforehand. Saying that the property you can rent here differs widely from properties rented in the UK for the same price.... 3 bed, 2 bath detached house in the UK £800? per month... here £200... £800 here rents you a 5/6+ bed, 3-4 bath, 2 kitchen with swimming pool, large garden and maids quarters.

Water is cheap, dual supply where I am [village & government] costs about £4 a month and we use a lot.

Electricity isnt so cheap but then I have 3 fridges, 2 freezers and 3 pumps for the fish pools running 24/7 , plus all the fans inside and out [dont like air con], shower heater and other appliances [lots in the kitchen].

Rentals here are for the property, bills are not included unless agreed beforehand. Saying that the property you can rent here differs widely from properties rented in the UK for the same price.... 3 bed, 2 bath detached house in the UK £800? per month... here £200... £800 here rents you a 5/6+ bed, 3-4 bath, 2 kitchen with swimming pool, large garden and maids quarters.

Water is cheap, dual supply where I am [village & government] costs about £4 a month and we use a lot.

Electricity isnt so cheap but then I have 3 fridges, 2 freezers and 3 pumps for the fish pools running 24/7 , plus all the fans inside and out [dont like air con], shower heater and other appliances [lots in the kitchen].

The only bill I get is electric although rent isn't cheap, when you take in to fact I don't have to pay water or council tax is a bonus. I pay $1000 a month which is around £550 a month. I am only in a studio apartment but we do have communal pool/bbq area. Our electric varies during the summer with a fan and air con on whenever I'm home I pay around $30 a week which is £16 a week during the winter is considerably cheaper as air con ain't used and only have heating on for an 1 hour during the morning and I was paying $11-15 a week or £5-8 a week. Alice Springs although a rural town is very expensive andy other rural town I could get 3 bed 2 bath house/unit for what I pay here.

Some idea of the houses to rent in Chiang Mai... much cheaper if you want rural

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/4-bedroom-detached-house-in-san-sai-chiang-mai-975755

25,000Bht.. £500

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/house-for-rent-in-chiangmai-suhtep-resort-style-1325753

20,000...£400

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/house-for-rent-in-sansai-chiangmai-1613333

17.000... £340

You have to ignore some of the colour schemes, Thais have a strange idea of matching colours.... purple and green is common in Khon Kaen

• 3 months later...

Its Songkran festival... Thai new year... The traffic is horrendous, made worse by people throwing water and baby powder at the cars as they pass and a multitude of drunk drivers for this 5-7 day festival... it rained hard yesterday with gale force winds that blew the mozzie screens out of the window and the rain lashed the back wall of my "office"... ruined my computer screen... the locals have been out today celebrating by dancing around the village collecting money for the temple and dowsing everyone they came into contact with and daubing them with powder... they came to my gate but the dogs wouldnt let them in.. extra bone when I go shopping I think.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3445[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

It seems I have been adopted by ..... a dog.

It actually belongs to the family who own the next house on the street but seems to like the company of our two dogs and the food and affection we give it.

The owners work in Bangkok, most of the working age people dont actually live in the village, the rent rooms in several of the cities where the work can be found and return home a few times a year for celebrations, festivals etc [thats why traffic is so bad around songkran].

Shocking what these ASIANS will do to pay their way [carl]

Someone comes every day to feed it but its formed an aversion to the food for some reason, although he does eat it if I give it to him in another dish. He barks when someone approaches our gate, comes to greet us with a wagging tail when we return for "being out" and doesnt bother our cat or should that be our cat doesnt bother with the dog?

Its also got into the habbit of leaning against me when Im standing... for anything... and lays down near my chair when Im sitting by the pool... but that could be because I always have the fan on.

Its usually me who picks up the strays... this one invited himself

I should have added that most of the workers go to Bangkok to find jobs and rooms, some of their family may go to different cities, Bangkok is about 300 miles away from their home.

Some even buy the chance to work, especially for the government.

It seems I have been adopted by ..... a dog.

It actually belongs to the family who own the next house on the street but seems to like the company of our two dogs and the food and affection we give it.

The owners work in Bangkok, most of the working age people dont actually live in the village, the rent rooms in several of the cities where the work can be found and return home a few times a year for celebrations, festivals etc [thats why traffic is so bad around songkran].

Shocking what these ASIANS will do to pay their way [carl]

Someone comes every day to feed it but its formed an aversion to the food for some reason, although he does eat it if I give it to him in another dish. He barks when someone approaches our gate, comes to greet us with a wagging tail when we return for "being out" and doesnt bother our cat or should that be our cat doesnt bother with the dog?

Its also got into the habbit of leaning against me when Im standing... for anything... and lays down near my chair when Im sitting by the pool... but that could be because I always have the fan on.

Its usually me who picks up the strays... this one invited himself

A great story that re-affirms my love of pets / animals, which follow their natural instincts and will not let you down, care whether you get old or fat, and often give you far more than people. Pets are not devious, don't lie or steal (well, unless you put temptation in their way....) and don't spend their time on 300 page threads about silly elections. If they could talk, they'd tell you they support Vale as well.

To be chosen as a special one by a dog, cat or other creature is a true privilege, also good that your cat (who is the real owner of your abode) is happy with the situation, give the cat some extra attention though if you can. Good luck with your new friend, hope he brings you lots of comfort and happiness.

Archived