onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Fans community in Brazil

jospvfc

I am Brazilian and fans of Port Vale happy to join the page, I wanted to inform you that here in Brazil has enough people who like and come with Port Vale, and even created a Brazilian page of valliants on facebook

I really want to see the sport will play against Stoke again, or climb division eventually at least play the championship, believe that?

https://www.facebook.com/Port-Vale-Brasil-380217915498782/

Advert

Wow, great to see the club gaining fans abroad. Thanks for your support Jos. You'd think our club would attract more interest abroad as our club does have a unique profile in English football. The words Port Vale are synonymous with football and nothing else. I like how we're unique in that way compared to all your cities, towns, uniteds etc.

In the 60's or 70's Vale used to have an American fan named Chet Weir (I think), I believe he lived in Texas, can anyone confirm this, did he attend any games, did anyone meet him.

I have a press cutting that confirms we did indeed have a supporter called Chet Weir, who visited Vale early in the 1964/65 season and saw at least one match, sadly Vale were in a massive slump then and had sunk to the relegation zone of the old Division Three.

Mr Weir supported some local charities too, and although I never met him as I was just a schoolkid at the time (and lived near London), was told that he was a very pleasant and affable man - the press piece describes how he 'chose' Port Vale as he found their name poetic.

It would be interesting to find if anyone has any news of this man or his family since that time, and whether they still have an interest in Port Vale - it is possible Tony Boulton may have some information additional to mine, but I will dig out the press cutting and see if I can load it to a post as a link. I think it was the Daily Express, the visit from Mr Weir got national coverage, and there may well have been more extensive articles and coverage of it in the Sentinel editions from that time (which I do not have unfortunately).

I hope that helps.:)

I have a press cutting that confirms we did indeed have a supporter called Chet Weir, who visited Vale early in the 1964/65 season and saw at least one match, sadly Vale were in a massive slump then and had sunk to the relegation zone of the old Division Three.

Mr Weir supported some local charities too, and although I never met him as I was just a schoolkid at the time (and lived near London), was told that he was a very pleasant and affable man - the press piece describes how he 'chose' Port Vale as he found their name poetic.

It would be interesting to find if anyone has any news of this man or his family since that time, and whether they still have an interest in Port Vale - it is possible Tony Boulton may have some information additional to mine, but I will dig out the press cutting and see if I can load it to a post as a link. I think it was the Daily Express, the visit from Mr Weir got national coverage, and there may well have been more extensive articles and coverage of it in the Sentinel editions from that time (which I do not have unfortunately).

I hope that helps.:)

Interesting D@P, I remember a newspaper article about him as a vale fan but can't remember whether it was the Daily Express or The Sentinel or any other paper. At the time I too was a school kid with an insatiable appetite for anything Port Vale, football and sport in general. Just a pity I didn't pay much attention to History, Shakespeare and all the other stuff at school......apart from football and cricket.

Archived