Time at club: 2017-2019
Veteran midfielder Michael Tonge signed a two-year contract with Port Vale in 2017 after a successful trial period.
Tonge began his career at Sheffield United and had also had spells with Stoke City, Leeds United and Stevenage before joining the Valiants. He had made over 500 senior appearances before joining the club and had scored over thirty goals.
The midfielder scored on his Port Vale debut during a 3-1 away victory over Crawley Town. Despite receiving a red card in a match against Crewe he was a regular pick in the starting eleven and added three more goals as he soon became a regular pick in his first season at the club. In doing so, Tonge triggered a one-year contract extension.
However, Tonge fell out of favour during his second season and made just one appearance for the club during the entire campaign.
It was therefore no surprise that the veteran was one of nine players to be released by the Valiants at the end of the season.
Michael Tonge images:
- Port Vale retained list: nine released including Luke Hannant
- Which players could leave Port Vale in the January transfer window?
- Team news: Pope and Tonge back for Vale against Chesterfield
- Neil Aspin says veterans still have a lot to offer
- Michael Tonge says a win would turn side's fortunes around
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: