Our latest two minute guide looks at Port Vale’s first away fixture of the new season…
Pre-match talking points
The Valiants are clearly trying to dampen down expectations after a convincing opening day win over Cambridge United. The most promising element was the partnership upfront between Tom Pope and Ricky Miller, which despite a lack of action in friendly games, looks highly promising.
Colchester managed a highly commendable 0-0 draw at Notts County. Their good performance was somewhat overshadowed by a contract row with Kane Vincent-Young. The wingback failed to agree a new contract and was not included in the matchday squad as a result. He has now agreed a deal.
“Confidence is oozing out of everyone, everyone has come in with a big smile on their face. Going into Saturday we are definitely very confident we can build on this weekend. I don”t think anyone is going there with a negative attitude that a draw will do…”
Port Vale defender Nathan Smith
“It is one game , let’s not get carried away. If we lose next week we are villains again aren’t we? Let’s not get carried away, let’s get back to work and hope to get a positive result on Saturday…”
Port Vale striker Ricky Miller
“There’s going to be some difficult games but we’ve shown we’re capable and we’ve got to continue that on…”
Port Vale manager Neil Aspin
Man in charge
John McGreal was appointed Colchester manager in 2016. The former Tranmere, Ipswich and Burnley player had been a coach at th eU’s but was named caretaker manager after the departure of Kevin Keen and was appointed full-time on the 4th May. He has won two manager of the month awards in his two year spell – the first manager since Paul Lambert to do so.
There are no current connections but in recent years…
- Former loanee Rekeil Pyke (right) has had spells at both clubs.
- Former Vale skipper Doug Loft left Vale for Gillingham but later moved to Colchester.
- Another loanee Olamide Shopido had spells with both clubs.
- And continuing the list of loanees, Tommy O’Sullivan had spells with both clubs albeit a permanent one with the U’s.
- There’s more as popular Vale loanee Ryan Inniss also had a similar loan with Colchester.
- The first fixture to be played at the Community Stadium was a friendly between Colchester United and Spanish club Athletic Bilbao while in 2014 Elton John became the first artist to perform at the stadium
- In May 2009, the Colchester Community Stadium was named overall winner in the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors East of England Awards