Time at club: 1920-1929, 1932-1933
Wilf Kirkham player profile:
Legendary striker Wilf Kirkham tops the club’s all-time scoring charts.
He turned professional with the Valiants in 1923 and during two spells with Vale the prolific forward scored four goals in a game twice and also hit thirteen hat-tricks.
Kirkham was sold to local rivals Stoke City for £2,800 in 1929 but returned in 1932 before announcing his retirement in 1933 at the relatively young age of just 31. Kirkham then took up a job as a teacher in local schools.
His 153 league goals and 164 goals in all competitions are both records, as his tally of 38 goals in the 1926–27 season and his total tally of thirteen competitive hat-tricks.
Wilf Kirkham images:
More on Wilf Kirkham:
- The moment Port Vale's greatest goalscorer called it a day
- Ultimate Port Vale XI: the strikers
- Vale's amazing 1926 run - 8 games, 7 wins, 23 goals for, 4 goals against
- Gallery: Our collection of vintage Vale cigarette cards
- Remembering Wilf Kirkham...
- Wilf Kirkham
- Video Vault: Kirkham caught on camera
- Port Vale cigarette cards
- 1913 to 1949
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: