Time at club: 1982-1991
Locally born midfielder Robbie Earle has been voted the greatest player in the history of Port Vale.
Originally a striker, he made his debut in 1982 and scored nineteen goals in the 1985-1986 promotion season.
Earle played a major part in the promotion season of 1988-1989 weighing in with nineteen goals from midfield including both Vale goals in the play-off final against Bristol Rovers.
Eventually Earle was snapped up by Wimbledon for a fee of £750,000. He subsequently scored for Jamaica in the World Cup Finals.
Robbie Earle images:
Above: Robbie Earle cries as he celebrates promotion in 1989
More on Robbie Earle:
- Five of the best Port Vale signings by John McGrath
- This is the OVF viewers all-time Port Vale XI
- Port Vale legend: club owner must be stable and transparent
- Photo Essay: the ultimate Port Vale midfield pairing?
- Photo Essay: Port Vale score against Man Utd in 1986
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: