Time at club: 1977-1989
Phil Sproson player profile:
Phil Sproson was a commanding and long-serving centre-half who was the nephew of Vale great Roy Sproson.
He progressed through the youth ranks and was a member of the 1982-1983, 1985-1986 and 1988-1989 promotion teams but his Port Vale career was cruelly interrupted by a career-threatening injury as the team closed on promotion in 1989.
He retired through injury until Port Vale accepted a payment of £50,000 from Birmingham in lieu of an insurance payment for Sproson to resume his career.
He played 12 games for the Blues before injuries finally ended his career.
Phil Sproson images:
More on Phil Sproson:
- Phil Sproson confirms Port Vale have made Jake Taylor offer
- Photo Essay: listening to the FA Cup draw in 1988
- Spend an evening with a Port Vale legend
- Classic clippings: Port Vale 2-1 Spurs, 1988
- Clipping Heroes #15: Cup Ties
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: