Time at club: 1984-1997
Ray Walker player profile:
Cultured midfielder Ray Walker was signed for just £12,000 from Aston Villa in 1986 after an earlier loan spell in 1984
Known as the ‘Hoddle of the lower leagues’ Ray Walker was a set-piece expert and briefly shot to national fame with a stunning goal that helped to knock Tottenham Hotspur out of the FA Cup. The midfield partnership that game – Walker and Robbie Earle – was a regular first-choice pairing under manager John Rudge with Walker’s skill complemented Earle’s energy perfectly.
Walker was voted Player of the Year twice in 1998 and 1991 and was comfortably in the top ten for the club’s all-time appearance holders. In many fans’ eyes Walker is amongst the classiest midfielders ever to play for the club.
Ray Walker images:
More on Ray Walker:
- Five ways that Port Vale's John Rudge showed his transfer market genius
- Vale video rewind: see two of the best goals scored at Vale Park
- This is the OVF viewers all-time Port Vale XI
- Photo Essay: listening to the FA Cup draw in 1988
- Photo Essay: the ultimate Port Vale midfield pairing?
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: