Time at club: 1985-1987 1989
A prolific striker who joined the club for £3,000 from Rhyl. He quickly became a regular and was joint top-scorer in the 1985-86 season. He then equalled the post-war scoring record with 37 during the 1986-1987 season – a tally that included a hat-trick against Fulham and five goals against Newport County. His goalscoring exploits saw him picked for the Wales International side and he scored on his debut against Finland.
He started the 1987-88 season with four goals against Aldershot before he was sold for a club-record £375,000 fee to Charlton Athletic.
He returned for a brief loan spell in 1989 when he scored three times in seventeen games while Charlton also turned down a Port Vale bid for the striker.
- Watch from 7:30pm: Port Vale v Fulham 1987 (full 90 mins)
- Five of the best free scoring Port Vale forward performances
- Five ways that Port Vale's John Rudge showed his transfer market genius
- Photo Essay: Andy Jones celebrates scoring four times in a game
- Five of the best Port Vale non-league signings
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: