It’s a crucial game on Tuesday evening as Vale look to secure their first win of 2018…
Vale form guide
Vale’s top scorers
Predict the score
A hugely disappointing 2018 got considerably worse when Vale were handed a thrashing by Cheltenham Town on Saturday.
Fans are demanding answers from owner Norman Smurthwaite who promised to do “whatever it takes” in the January window but in many fans’ eyes has not backed the manager. But ultimately the players on the pitch have to do the job for Vale in order to stay up…
What will the Vale look like?
There will be changes to the Vale team not least because Antony Kay (right) is suspended and the impressive Luke Hannant is a major doubt. It could mean that the likes of Chris Regis and Harry Middleton come in from the cold.
Anton Forrester failed to impress when handed a start upfront so he may lose his place to Donovan Wilson while Tyrone Barnett may come into the equation as well.
“I’m not trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. We have to get on with the next game, we have to try and put those faults right and we’ve got to get on with the next game…”
“We know that they are capable of getting results, so I think we need to be on our toes…”
The longest serving manager in the Football League, Tisdale has been in charge since 2006 managing over 600 games for the club.
- Port Vale wins: 21
- Port Vale losses: 16
- Draws: 10
The last time the two teams met was in October this season when the Valiants secured a valuable three points thanks to a winner from talisman Tom Pope.
The last time Vale travelled to Exeter was for that “infamous” 2-0 FA Cup which arguably spelled the end of Rob Page’s reign at the club.
Played for both…
Players to appear for both clubs in recent years include:
- Defender Richard Duffy (right)
- Winger Mark Chamberlain
- Defender George Pilkington
- Defender Darren Hughes
- Striker Steve Biggins
Other Vale events that happened this day…
- 1906 Port Vale crash to a 7-0 away defeat against Chelsea.
- 1906 Goalkeeper Jock Leckie is born.
- 1906 Winger Bob Morton is born.
- 1984 Port Vale win a seven goal thriller as they beat Brentford 4-2. Eamonn O'Keefe (2), Tommy Gore and Steve Fox are the scorers.
- 1987 Paul Smith and Paul Maguire score as Port Vale beat Bury 2-0.
- 1991 Striker Richie Bennett is born.
- 1993 Robin van der Laan scores the winner as Vale beat Stoke City in an Autoglass Trophy game.