It’s a crucial game on Tuesday evening as Vale look to secure their first win of 2018…
Vale form guide
[sc name=”form guide”]
Vale’s top scorers
Predict the score
A hugely disappointing 2018 got considerably worse when Vale were handed a thrashing by Cheltenham Town on Saturday.
Fans are demanding answers from owner Norman Smurthwaite who promised to do “whatever it takes” in the January window but in many fans’ eyes has not backed the manager. But ultimately the players on the pitch have to do the job for Vale in order to stay up…
What will the Vale look like?
There will be changes to the Vale team not least because Antony Kay (right) is suspended and the impressive Luke Hannant is a major doubt. It could mean that the likes of Chris Regis and Harry Middleton come in from the cold.
Anton Forrester failed to impress when handed a start upfront so he may lose his place to Donovan Wilson while Tyrone Barnett may come into the equation as well.
“I’m not trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. We have to get on with the next game, we have to try and put those faults right and we’ve got to get on with the next game…”
“We know that they are capable of getting results, so I think we need to be on our toes…”
The longest serving manager in the Football League, Tisdale has been in charge since 2006 managing over 600 games for the club.
- Port Vale wins: 21
- Port Vale losses: 16
- Draws: 10
The last time the two teams met was in October this season when the Valiants secured a valuable three points thanks to a winner from talisman Tom Pope.
The last time Vale travelled to Exeter was for that “infamous” 2-0 FA Cup which arguably spelled the end of Rob Page’s reign at the club.
Played for both…
Players to appear for both clubs in recent years include:
- Defender Richard Duffy (right)
- Winger Mark Chamberlain
- Defender George Pilkington
- Defender Darren Hughes
- Striker Steve Biggins
Other Vale events that happened this day…
- 1904 Forward Sam Smith is born.
- 1931 Port Vale beat Nottingham Forest 2-0 thanks to goals from Richard York and James Henshall.
- 1964 Port Vale beat Hendon United in the FA Cup thanks to goals from Ron Smith and David Mitchell.
- 1981 Jimmy Greenoff scores the winner as Port Vale beat Aldershot 1-0.
- 1998 Striker Christophe Horlaville makes his debut in a 2-0 defeat to Sunderland.
- 2014 Defender Ryan McGivern plays for Northern Ireland in a 0-2 defeat to Romania.
- 2015 AJ Leitch-Smith scores his first Port Vale goal in a 2-1 win over Barnsley.