Slighter shorter than usual, here’s our guide to Port Vale’s second cup game in a matter of days…
In the picture
(our choice of top image to accompany this feature)
Credit: these images were given to us by a Doncaster fan whose name we have now forgotten. Sorry!
Taken from the OVF Photo Archives, you can see a selection of Port Vale supporters’ faces deep in concentration as Vale faced Doncaster back in 2005. This was a game that took place in January 2008 and it finished Doncaster 2-0 Port Vale. It was played at the old Belle Vue ground and was to be Vale’s penultimate visit to the old stadium. Below are a couple of other images from the game:
The two sides
- Manager: Bruno Ribeiro
- Last match: 1-0 vs Stevenage
- Top scorer: Alex Jones (8)
- Manager: Darren Ferguson
- Last match: 1-2 vs Oldham
- Top scorer: Marquis, Williams (both 7)
The Keepmoat Stadium
8th November 2016
Vale team news
The Valiants will almost certainly make changes for this game. It may be a match too soon for top-scorer Alex Jones but it’s probable that Miguel Santos will be handed the goalkeeping jersey and there will be other changes further upfield.
Last time we met…
The two teams last met back in January when two goals from AJ Leitch-Smith gave Vale a 2-1 away win.
Port Vale wins: 23
Port Vale losses: 20
[rsnippet id=”65″ name=”League One form”]
Did you know…
- The two sides first met in 1901.
- That first game ended in a 3-3 draw
- The two sides have met twice in the FA Cup, once in the League Cup but never in the Football League Trophy before tonight’s game.