Next up for Port Vale is a visit to Sheffield United and here’s our brief guide to the action…
In the picture:
The story behind our choice of image we’ve chosen to lead the article with…
This is the programme from a memorable clash back in 1988. It was played on the 24th October and ended in a 3-3 draw. The highlights are below (taken from the OVF YouTube channel)
The two sides
- Manager: Bruno Ribeiro
- Last match: 1-0 vs Milton Keynes
- Top scorer: Alex Jones (7)
- Manager: Chris Wilder
- Last match: 1-2 vs Walsall (FLT)
- Top scorer: Billy Sharp (5)
15th October, 3pm
Vale assistant Michael Brown.
Seb Amoros earned praise while standing in for Paulo Tavares so Vale fans can probably expect a similar line-up to the team that defeated Milton Keynes
Possible Vale line-up:
Purkiss – Streete – Smith – Knops
Grant – Amoros
Jones – Paterson – Hart
Last time we met…
The Valiants lost 1-0 back in February 2016 with the goal coming from Billy Sharp. The game at Vale Park had ended 2-1 thanks to goals from Byron Moore and Uche Ikpeazu.
Port Vale wins: 7
Port Vale losses: 24
[rsnippet id=”65" name=”League One form”]
The obvious player to feature would be midfielder Michael Brown, who played almost 150 times for the Blades. But we don’t always do “obvious” on OVF. Not many people will know that joint-captain Ben Purkiss started his playing career at Sheffield United. Purkiss was born in Sheffield and spent several years in the United junior ranks without ever making a first-team appearance. He eventually joined Gainsborough Trinity in 2003 and then to York in 2006. After spells with Oxford, Darlington, Hereford and Walsall he joined Vale in 2015.
Vale appearances: 58 games | 0 goals (as of end of last season)
Other players to appear for both clubs include:
- Striker Jordan Slew
- Centre-forward Geoff Horsfield
- Goalkeeper John Connaughton
- Defender Gary West
- Defender Paul Beesley
- Midfielder Kingsley James
- Defender Phil Roe
Did you know…
- The clubs first met in 1892.
- That was a game to forget for the Valiants as they lost 10-0 at home.
- It didn’t get much better in the return fixture with Vale losing 4-0.
- However, Vale recorded their first win in an FA Cup replay in 1898.
- They followed that up with a 2-0 league win in 1934.
[r[rsnippet id=”63" name=”Predict Score”]p>