Ultimate Port Vale right winger: we’re asking Port Vale fans to select their finest-ever Valiants line-up and now it’s time to vote for the greatest right winger
Ultimate Port Vale right winger
1. Rules and notes
- There will be a dedicated forum discussion thread for each position (a link is below).
- The forum discussion thread will have a poll attached containing the list of our shortlisted players. This makes it fair (one user one vote) and stops any outside influences (Stoke fans, we’re looking at you!) from trying to influence the poll as only registered forum users can vote
- OVF will provide a shortlist of players that we think are suitable candidates. However, if we have missed a candidate out and you make a compelling case for their inclusion we will add them to the poll.
- A player will appear in their most common position (e.g. Neil Aspin played right-back but is more familiar as a centre-half; Robbie Earle played as a striker but is best-known as a midfielder)
- The formation for the best-ever XI is a classic 4-4-2 formation
- A player must have played 50 first-team games for the Valiants to qualify
2. The OVF Shortlist
Gareth Ainsworth: a “never-say-die” winger who remains the club’s record transfer sale when sold for £2m.
Jon McCarthy: Ainsworth’s predecessor who formed a dynamic partnership with Steve Guppy and was capped for Northern Ireland.
Mark Chamberlain: One of the stand-out players from the late 70’s and early 80’s who went on to play for England.
Colin Askey: The right winger in the famed 1954 side who was described as “brave as a lion” by team mate Roy Sproson.
3. Time to place your vote
To place your vote you need to be a registered user of our forum and go to this forum thread
Voting closes in a month’s time.