Match Analysis: Port Vale 2-2 Stevenage

Match Analysis: Port Vale 2-2 Stevenage

Jennison Myrie-Williams scored against his former side but Vale had to rely on a late strike by striker Tom Pope to salvage a point.


Jennison Myrie-Williams scored against his former side but Vale had to rely on a late strike by striker Tom Pope to salvage a point.

Micky Adams named the same line-up that defeated Salisbury which meant that Rob Taylor, Friday’s hero, had to be content with a place on the bench.

Vale had several chances in an open first-half with Tom Pope rattling the bar and Myrie-Williams, no doubt wanting to impress against his former club, forcing a save after a Vale break.

And on half an hour Vale did take the lead. Chorley handballed and Myrie-Williams scored from the spot against his old side.

Chorley, who had been complaining about everything and anything throughout the game had already been booked and really he should have been dismissed for his handball offence but the referee decided to issue no punishment.

However, five minutes after the Myrie-Williams goal, Stevenage equalised with a goal by Burrow against the run of play. And just two minutes later, Burrow added another after some woeful defending by the Vale.

That shocked the Valiants, who had largely been on top and the visitors took a goal lead into the break. Credit was also due to Stevenage who had taken their chances.

In the second-half, both Myrie-Williams and Tomlin both had chances and manager Micky Adams also brought on pacy duo Jones and Taylor as the home side tried to increase the pressure.

Stevenage should have been down to nine men after Freeman committed an awful studs-up challenge on Vale keeper Sam Johnson which deserved more than the yellow card he was given. To compound it, the forward then subjected innocent party Johnson to a volley of abuse which again, was probably worthy of harsher action by the referee.

Finally, Stevenage were handed the dismissal that their cynical style of play deserved when Doughty was sent-off for a tackle on Dickinson. It was probably less of a bad challenge than that of Freeman some minutes earlier, but it handed Vale the chance to make their man advantage count.

Pope then went close as the game entered the final 15 minutes and the Valiants made their final throw of the dice by bringing veteran Lee Hughes into the action. With minutes remaining, Pope forced a great save from Day but moments later Pope proved his worth with a late equaliser from close range although strike partner Lee Hughes may also have a claim for the strike.

It was no more than Vale deserved. They certainly hadn’t played well, but it would have been galling if the frankly cynical opposition had claimed all three points.

Vale: Johnson, Yates, Robertson, Duffy, Dickinson, Myrie-Williams, Griffith (Jones), Lines, Birchall (Taylor), Pope, Tomlin (Hughes)

Subs: Boot, Chilvers, Dodds, Williamson

Attendance: 4,967 (91 away supporters)



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− six = one