Next up for Port Vale is a visit from promoted Sheffield United and here’s our brief guide to the action…
The two sides
- Manager: Michael Brown
- Last match: 0-1 vs Chesterfield
- Top scorer: Alex Jones (10)
- Manager: Chris Wilder
- Last match: 2-1 vs Northampton
- Top scorer: Billy Sharp (26)
14th April, 2017
“We have done a lot of work since the game on Saturday – a lot of talking and a lot of analysis. Players have met and we have had a chat amongst ourselves and a frank discussion talking about taking responsibility. Hopefully we will see a reaction and get some points from the game…”
Port Vale captain Ben Purkiss
Vale have been hit with all sorts of injury problems and will definitely be missing Kjell Knops, Callum Guy, Anton Forrester, Olamide Shodipo and Tyler Walker. What’s more Remie Streete and replacement Andre Bikey could also miss the game. If so, then Ben Purkiss may be moved into a temporary centre-half role while the likes of Ryan Taylor may move to right-back. If those changes happen then Danny Pugh (right) could return to a central midfield role as he returns from suspension.
Last time we met…
The Valiants slumped to a 4-0 loss earlier this season. The highlights (if you dare or care) are above.
Port Vale wins: 7
Port Vale losses: 25
[rsnippet id=”65″ name=”League One form”]
The obvious player to feature would be manager Michael Brown (right), who played almost 150 times for the Blades. But we don’t always do “obvious” on OVF. Not many people will know that joint-captain Ben Purkiss started his playing career at Sheffield United. Purkiss was born in Sheffield and spent several years in the United junior ranks without ever making a first-team appearance. He eventually joined Gainsborough Trinity in 2003 and then to York in 2006. After spells with Oxford, Darlington, Hereford and Walsall he joined Vale in 2015.
Vale appearances: 58 games | 0 goals (as of end of last season)
Other players to appear for both clubs include:
- Striker Jordan Slew
- Centre-forward Geoff Horsfield
- Goalkeeper John Connaughton
- Defender Gary West
- Defender Paul Beesley
- Midfielder Kingsley James
- Defender Phil Roe
Did you know…
- The clubs first met in 1892.
- That was a game to forget for the Valiants as they lost 10-0 at home.
- It didn’t get much better in the return fixture with Vale losing 4-0.
- However, Vale recorded their first win in an FA Cup replay in 1898.
- They followed that up with a 2-0 league win in 1934.