It’s another crucial home game for interim manager Michael Brown and here’s our brief guide to the action…
In the picture:
The story behind our choice of image we’ve chosen to lead the article with…
We’d like to remind fans of the tribute to the late Jake Dean which will take place during the game. This tweet from @unofficialvale explains all:
The two sides
- Manager: Michael Brown (interim)
- Last match: 1-1 vs Bristol Rovers
- Top scorer: Alex Jones (10)
- Manager: Stuart McCall
- Last match: 2-2 vs Bolton
- Top scorer: Jordy Hiwula (11)
25th February 2017
Here’s Michael Brown…
Vale team news
There are plenty of issues that will concern Michael Brown.
Firstly, who will partner Nathan Smith (right) in central defence? A poll on OVF puts Danny Pugh just ahead of Ben Purkiss and the indications are that Pugh could be given the nod. But if Pugh is picked who comes into midfield? The options appear to be the youth of Callum Guy or the vast experience of the manager himself, Michael Brown.
Vale are also short of numbers upfront. Tyler Walker looks to be out for the season and Rigino Cicilia is injured so fans will be hoping that Anton Forrester doesn’t pick up another knock.
Last time we met…
The clubs met in the first game of the season with a new-look Vale team holding the Bantams to a goalless draw.
Port Vale wins: 32
Port Vale losses: 43
The news that former Valiants Mark Marshall (right) and Alex Jones are set to miss out will come as a boost to the Valiants. Other players to appear for both clubs include:
- Goalkeeper Jak Alnwick
- Forward Bernie Wright
- Midfielder Marc Bridge-Wilkinson
- Winger Peter Griffiths
- Midfielder Billy Knott
Did you know…
- Vale have a very impressive home league record against the Bantams. The Valiants have not lost in the last seven meetings.
- Vale last lost at home in the league in 2007 although they did lose a JPT clash in 2012.
- AJ Leitch-Smith (right) scored Vale’s last goal against Bradford.
- The two clubs first met in 1903 when Vale won 5-2.
- Harry Coxon scored Vale’s first-ever goal against Bradford.