Port Vale Chairman Norman Smurthwaite has tweeted that two of the three shortlisted candidates are effectively out of contention and he is interviewing two more people. He also says no out-of-contract players have agreed contracts.
Note: article updated since first publication with further tweets
Earlier this month, Smurthwaite had indicated that he had three shortlisted contenders but he now says he will interview two more contenders as two of his previous shortlist have been ruled out.
In the meantime, Friday was the deadline for the club’s eight out-of-contract players to agree new deals and Smurthwaite appears to indicate that none of them have accepted. If the claims are true then Vale currently have just nine contracted players and no manager.
In a series of tweets on Friday night Smurthwaite said: