Here’s our brief preview of Port Vale’s home game against Wigan Athletic on Saturday afternoon.
Date: Saturday 12th September
Ticket prices: More details here
Manager: Rob Page
Last match: 1-0 vs Carlisle
Recent form: D-W-D-L-W
Manager: Gary Caldwell
Last match: 3-2 vs Chesterfield
Recent form: D-W-L-W-W
Byron Moore is set to return to the starting eleven
After a twelve day break and a number of changes for the JPT win over Carlisle, Rob Page is likely to revert the same starting eleven that has begun the majority of league games. That should see Enoch Andoh and Byron Moore return on the flanks and Sam Foley in to replace Jak McCourt. Vale’s only injuries are Adam Yates, Chris Neal and the fast-recovering Michael O’Connor, who may even make the bench.
“We’ve got beat late on in the 95th minute so it’s important we bounce back in a positive way…”
– Rob Page.
Last time we met…
The Valiants lost 1-0 at home to Wigan back in 2002. Athletic’s goal came from Jason de Vos and the Vale side included Mark Goodlad, Sam Collins, Billy Paynter, Steve McPhee and Steve Brooker.
The visitors boast a couple of former Vale loanees in their ranks. Striker Craig Davies is likely to start but Francisco Junior is injured and may miss the game.
Other players to appear for both sides include:
- Vale full-backs Matt Carragher and Allen Tankard
- Duo Andy Porter and Gareth Griffiths who both joined Wigan in the summer of 1998
- Winger Ian Griffiths
- Forward Derek Brownbill
From our OVF YouTube channel is a classic clash from back in 1993. Vale’s scorers are Slaven, Kerr, van der Laan and Cross.
- 11 Port Vale wins
- 11 Port Vale losses
- 7 draws
A few essential facts about our opponents to impress your mates with…
- Port Vale’s last win against Wigan was in August 2002 when Ian Armstrong scored in a 1-0 away win.
- Vale’s last home win was also in 2002, this time March when Steve Brooker scored the winner in another 1-0 win.
- The Valiants have only lost twice at home (in 14 games) against Wigan.
- Recent games have been low-scoring affairs with just five goals scored in the last six matches.