As we’ve never played each other before, it’s likely that many Vale fans won’t know much about Getafe – who will play a friendly game against the Valiants this summer.
Here are ten facts about our high-profile opponents:
1. Following a merger, Getafe Club de Futbol was founded in 1983.
2. Starting in the regional leagues, they ascended the entire Spanish football pyramid in just 20 years.
3. Getafe have been in La Liga since the 2004-2005 season.
4. Bernd Schuster was Getafe coach from 2005 until 2007 when he left to take the Real Madrid job.
5. Left-back Mariano Pernia became the club’s first Spanish International in 2006.
6. In 2006, the club also reached the Spanish Cup final (losing to Sevilla) and qualified for the UEFA Cup.
7. They were runners-up in the Spanish Cup final for a second consecutive year in 2007.
8. Getafe traditonally wear a blue kit with elements of white and red. Their away kit tends to be red.
9. In 2013, Getafe splashed out spending a club record €6m twice on Oscar Ustari and Pedro Leon.
10. The club’s biggest outgoing transfers are Roberto Soldado – €10m (to Real Madrid, 2010), Abdelaziz Barrada – €10m (to Al Jazira, 2013) & Pedro Leon – €10m (to Real Madrid, 2010)