Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
    Just remembered this anecdote:

I watched Vale play at Reading in the late 70s, at their old Elm Park ground.

Before kick off Gordon was on the pitch putting the Vale players through their paces and I saw one or two of the Reading fans nudging each other and pointing. Next thing the tannoy announcer came on and said 'yes, the Port Vale coach is the legendary Gordon Banks' and a big cheer went up, followed by kids going on the pitch with programmes and other things to sign. He accepted it all with good grace and all those kids went home with his autograph.

Top bloke and will be sadly missed. Nice to see on the TV news tonight, at the little shrine that's sprung up at the Bet 365, at least one Vale scarf.
    A Vale shirt as well. Also scarves from Hartlepool, Leeds, Hadjuk Split and Leicester.

2. Advert Advert

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    A Vale shirt as well. Also scarves from Hartlepool, Leeds, Hadjuk Split and Leicester.
    You should remember that Reading match as well Phil as we were both there.

RIP Gordon Banks. Growing up in Tipperary, I watched the Ď66 WC Final in a pub with my Dad , and the images are still there , especially of Gordon Banks. He was a brilliant goalkeeper, probably the best ever for England , and that save from Pele was out of this world . The 1970 England team was better than 1966, and if Banks had not been injured , I have no doubt that they would have won the World Cup that year. Thatís how good he was .
    He inspired players to excel. I was very sad when I heard the news of his passing.
    His kind wonít pass this way again. Many condolences to his family and friends.

A nice tribute to Banks at Vale Park on Saturday and in the programme. Well done to all concerned.
    I'm sure he'll have a good send off from Stoke Minster next month.

6. Advert Advert

Advert
Advert
This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated