Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator Admin team

Match Thread - Port Vale v Colchester United

Unbeaten in 2019, now for a league win. Too far from Burslem to measure the euphoria, but surely team confidence and morale must be higher after winning a penalty shoot-out. Bit more adventure in our play, better application, game time for Angus and a centenary goal for the Pope should set us on our way. The game is there to be won, it is up to Aspin and the team to show that they can do better things with a streamlined squad, whilst hoping for a crucial signing. Only fly in the ointment Colchester have not won since before Xmas.

2. Advert Advert

I dread when we play now because some fans just cant wait for us to lose so they can moan their bollox off about Aspin.

4. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by beasty77 View Post
    I dread when we play now because some fans just cant wait for us to lose so they can moan their bollox off about Aspin.
    I think most (if not all) fans want us to win but moan their b****x off because we don't win. Last home win in the league was in October.

6. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by pjg1876 View Post
    I think most (if not all) fans want us to win but moan their b****x off because we don't win. Last home win in the league was in October.
    Some fans wanted us to lose to Lincoln so Aspin got the sack. We went 1-0 down to them and they couldnt wait jump on the managers back. These fans are a special breed.

8. Poster thanked by

3 proper strikers/forwards is the way to go imho, like we finished with last night. Miller on the right, Angus on the left, both getting in behind and cutting in. Manny and Conlon playing either side of Kay and doing the tracking back on the flanks and midfield centre. 4 at the back with both FBs supporting the forwards as and when. No chance at all that Apsin will do this, of course. Given that we lost to these away, likely to be to 9-0-1, the tactic that Aspin clearly prefers.

Quote Originally Posted by philmpv View Post
    3 proper strikers/forwards is the way to go imho, like we finished with last night. Miller on the right, Angus on the left, both getting in behind and cutting in. Manny and Conlon playing either side of Kay and doing the tracking back on the flanks and midfield centre. 4 at the back with both FBs supporting the forwards as and when. No chance at all that Apsin will do this, of course. Given that we lost to these away, likely to be to 9-0-1, the tactic that Aspin clearly prefers.
    I'm sure that when we played these they had full backs that pushed high and linked up with their wingers. If they still play that way then we could get overrun in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by PV1973 View Post
    I'm sure that when we played these they had full backs that pushed high and linked up with their wingers. If they still play that way then we could get overrun in midfield.
    Fair point but when haven't we been overrun in midfield this season generally?! In any event, if we leave the 3 strikers up, won't that likely cause their fbs to stay back or at least be a lot more cautious, thus affecting their own system? I'd be concentrating on what we can do if so minded rather than the oppo. Aspin forgets that the former is an option.
    Last edited by philmpv; 09-01-19 at 02:52 PM.

12. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by philmpv View Post
    Fair point but when haven't we been overrun in midfield this season generally?! In any event, if we leave the 3 strikers up, won't that likely cause their fbs to stay back or at least be a lot more cautious, thus affecting their own system? I'd be concentrating on what we can do if so minded rather than the oppo. Aspin forgets that the former is an option.
    We could be taking the game to them, especially if we played with proper full backs and wingers. You watch him go 4-5-1 with our 'wingers' dropping deep to try and stop their wing play.

14. Poster thanked by

We could be taking the game to them, especially if we played with proper full backs and wingers. You watch him go 4-5-1 with our 'wingers' dropping deep to try and stop their wing play.
    That would be adventurous for him. Manny et al will all be sitting on the edge of our 18 yard box for 85 minutes.

Watched the first half on Vale till i die last night and apart from Gibbons making constant runs down the right and joining in i wasnt that impressed with what else i was seeing as i think we have to many one paced players .
    Second half i only watched from 82 minute and how much better do we look with Miller and Dior up there too as when we scored the goal a great ball in from Hannant and the same player volleying over after impressive build up play along the left .
    New signings a must i think and at home you cannot have 2 sitting players like Kay and Joyce .

17. Poster thanked by

That's exactly what happened. We had Monty at left back and he and Hannant were all at sea on the flanks, especially when their full back pushed up. As he did so, their midfield joined in and I remember Manny also having a torrid time trying to cope with their movement. They'd really done their homework on us and tore us apart. I was amazed we got away with just conceding two and Nouble in particular missed a sitter, completely open goal as I remember.

They are also a big, physical side and it's made me wonder whether Aspo will resort to playing Rawlinson, Legge and Smith in a back three or as part of a back four just to give us some height. This would be a big mistake in my view because we need to keep them on the back foot, especially with our full backs. They've conceded 18 away from home - 6 more than us - and attack would be the best form of defence. They also conceded 3 at home on Saturday, having conceded just 9 in their previous 12 home games, so something is going wrong for them defensively at present.

So, some difficult tactical decisions for Aspo in a difficult game but it's time to get on the front foot if you ask me, while they are in an indifferent spell (one win in their last 5). C'mon, Aspo, let's get at them. You know it makes sense!

19. Poster thanked by

20. Advert Advert

Official Port Vale ticket shop
This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated