onevalefan.co.ukonevalefan.co.uk
Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: James McClean

I find the comments on this thread very interesting. In the past I have received some barbed comments from some well known posters on here for "deviating" from the subject. I remember one occasion when I was told that my comments were irrelevant when I commented about Danny Cowley on a thread referring to him. I also remember commenting about a specific subject and finding that the thread was arbitrarily closed when it was clear a number of people wished to comment about that specific subject.

I find that this particular thread was started because of the language used by James McClean on social media. This has now morphed into comments about the history of Ireland and a very pointed dig at the mindset of the Irish nation, an analysis of the British Military elite forces deployment, politics over several centuries, the wearing of poppies, the history of British servicemen. However the thread remains open, and people who have complained often in the past about "relevance" of posts under a thread heading continue to post their view of the world, war, life, politics and Irish history.

I urge the closing of this thread. What relevance does this have to Port Vale? Who on here really knows what level of education James McClean has? Who here has any experience of, and exposure to, elite military forces their deployment and tactics? (Actually I do, I served for 23 years, but will not inflict any of that on here) How many scholars of Irish history inhabit these pages?

Come on give it a rest, this is a Port Vale specific, and football general website.

James McClean has a right not to wear a poppy. He has a right to expect not to be abused for his views. He also has a responsibility not to insult supporters of his, or any other, football club. If he feels he is the victim of racism it should be investigate by the authorities.

What else is there to say?

End of rant.

2. Advert Advert

Quote Originally Posted by Essex Vale View Post
    I find the comments on this thread very interesting. In the past I have received some barbed comments from some well known posters on here for "deviating" from the subject. I remember one occasion when I was told that my comments were irrelevant when I commented about Danny Cowley on a thread referring to him. I also remember commenting about a specific subject and finding that the thread was arbitrarily closed when it was clear a number of people wished to comment about that specific subject.

I find that this particular thread was started because of the language used by James McClean on social media. This has now morphed into comments about the history of Ireland and a very pointed dig at the mindset of the Irish nation, an analysis of the British Military elite forces deployment, politics over several centuries, the wearing of poppies, the history of British servicemen. However the thread remains open, and people who have complained often in the past about "relevance" of posts under a thread heading continue to post their view of the world, war, life, politics and Irish history.

I urge the closing of this thread. What relevance does this have to Port Vale? Who on here really knows what level of education James McClean has? Who here has any experience of, and exposure to, elite military forces their deployment and tactics? (Actually I do, I served for 23 years, but will not inflict any of that on here) How many scholars of Irish history inhabit these pages?

Come on give it a rest, this is a Port Vale specific, and football general website.

James McClean has a right not to wear a poppy. He has a right to expect not to be abused for his views. He also has a responsibility not to insult supporters of his, or any other, football club. If he feels he is the victim of racism it should be investigate by the authorities.

What else is there to say?

End of rant.

Scholar of Irish History here. Close the thread.

Using the same criteria can we close the brexit thread?

5. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Valiant View Post
    Scholar of Irish History here. Close the thread.
    Taught Irish history to 16 year olds for a number years. Close the thread.

Declan Rice still hasn't decided whether he wants to play for England or the ROI.
    Close the thread.

This isnít going to go well ....heís put the club in a very difficult, political situation

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/spor...forest-2195197

Quote Originally Posted by Werrington View Post
    This isnít going to go well ....heís put the club in a very difficult, political situation

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/spor...forest-2195197
    Just been a short item on Victoria Derbyshire,Wezza.I suppose Stoke could drop him for the real reason- crapness.Difficult position,as you say,though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6754 View Post
    national symbol
    I think it's the level of nationalism that's become associated with the symbol that's the issue.

The poppy has been misused by the far right. The noisy people who get agitated at this time of year are more motivated by point-scoring than any act of remembrance.

None of this is the fault of our grandparents' generation.

11. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I think it's the level of nationalism that's become associated with the symbol that's the issue.

The poppy has been misused by the far right. The noisy people who get agitated at this time of year are more motivated by point-scoring than any act of remembrance.

None of this is the fault of our grandparents' generation.
    Some people may view the poppy in that way but most people don't. I very much doubt there was ever any intention for the the poppy to be used in the political manner you reference or for making any political point but people will be people.

I don't wear a poppy because they break and fall off. I do give to help the people who have served the country though. Tonight I will feed the birds in my garden, but on the way home I encountered yet another aggressive beggar and told him to FO which caused him to do the opposite and start a rant. But I see thrushes and pigeons and white collared doves and hedgehogs as all more worthy of my time and money than this beggar. The sad thing is he may be a homeless ex serviceman for all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I don't wear a poppy because they break and fall off. I do give to help the people who have served the country though. Tonight I will feed the birds in my garden, but on the way home I encountered yet another aggressive beggar and told him to FO which caused him to do the opposite and start a rant. But I see thrushes and pigeons and white collared doves and hedgehogs as all more worthy of my time and money than this beggar. The sad thing is he may be a homeless ex serviceman for all I know.
    That's more common than you might think, particularly given the frightening number of ex servicemen in prison. A lot can't hack life on the outside having become institutionalised while in the military. Soon as they get out it's back to the streets.

15. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated