onevalefan.co.ukonevalefan.co.uk
Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    One thing that always gets me with RS and P&G, is the presenters continual patronising “come on Vale/Crewe fans where are you” comments as if to say only Stoke calls are being aired because the small fry fans arn’t ringing in. Yet lo and behold when the Prize Bully’s arn’t playing the show is full of Vale & Crewe callers ! So we’re calling all the time, just being ignored in favour of that shower down the road as per norm !
    Last edited by RailwayRowdy; 05-11-18 at 09:05 AM.

2. Advert Advert

Quote Originally Posted by RailwayRowdy View Post
    One thing that always gets me with RS and P&G, is the presenters continual patronising “come on Vale/Crewe fans where are you” comments as if to say only Stoke calls are being aired because the small fry fans arn’t ringing in. Yet lo and behold when the Prize Bully’s arn’t playing the show is full of Vale & Crewe callers ! So we’re calling all the time, just being ignored in favour of that shower down the road as per norm !
    What's Norm got to do with it? I wouldn't put it past him personally.

If Vale, Crewe and Stoke play on a Saturday, I switch the radio off for P&Grumble. I can not stand (or sit) listening to lardy drivel for the first 30/40 minutes.

5. Poster thanked by

Still no reply to the e mail that I sent to them.Just shows their level of ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
    What's Norm got to do with it? I wouldn't put it past him personally.
    You know the rules. Everything that is bad is Normans fault but anything good is in spite of Norman.

8. Poster thanked by

Eventually got a reply from Radio Stoke.

Dear Melv,

Thanks for getting in touch and your comments about our coverage. I am Andrew – I’m the Managing Editor at BBC Radio Stoke, I’ll do my best to answer your points.

Our commitment to our 3 local league football teams is equal.

We’re the only radio station to provide commentary of Port Vale, Crewe Alex & Stoke City games - home and away regardless of kick off times and television coverage.

As you mention, this can be disruptive to other programmes and listeners particularly those who don’t like football, but I consider providing the commentary to be a very important part of what we do.

Providing commentary on 3 teams home and away is also expensive, as well as the staffing costs of sending commentary teams to games we also have to pay each of the clubs thousands of pounds each year for the rights to deliver live commentary.
    These costs are something we continually review – and again I am convinced that providing commentary is the right way for us to use licence fee funds, as if we didn’t provide this service no other broadcaster would.

If any of our 3 teams kick off at unusual times (and are the only team playing) they tend to get full coverage on all frequencies meaning as many people as possible can hear the commentary and we get most value for the licence fee spent.

For example Port Vale’s game against Sunderland this Sunday will be on all frequencies even though that means moving a programme and shortening another which is disruptive – but I think entirely appropriate given the interest in the game.

We cannot not provide radio commentary, just because a game is being shown on TV.
    As you know the TV companies move fixtures to suit their audiences. Also not everyone has access to BT Sport or Sky.

We provide our commentary free of charge to listeners.
    Thanks for your comments.

Andrew
    Andrew Bowman
    Editor BBC Radio Stoke
    Last edited by melv; 07-11-18 at 07:23 PM.

Administrator Admin team
    Did I miss the explanation of why P&G and a match commentary cannot be broadcast at the same time using different frequencies, similar to when different games are broadcast at the same time?

11. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by melv View Post
    Eventually got a reply from Radio Stoke.

Dear Melv,

Thanks for getting in touch and your comments about our coverage. I am Andrew – I’m the Managing Editor at BBC Radio Stoke, I’ll do my best to answer your points.

Our commitment to our 3 local league football teams is equal.

We’re the only radio station to provide commentary of Port Vale, Crewe Alex & Stoke City games - home and away regardless of kick off times and television coverage.

As you mention, this can be disruptive to other programmes and listeners particularly those who don’t like football, but I consider providing the commentary to be a very important part of what we do.

Providing commentary on 3 teams home and away is also expensive, as well as the staffing costs of sending commentary teams to games we also have to pay each of the clubs thousands of pounds each year for the rights to deliver live commentary.
    These costs are something we continually review – and again I am convinced that providing commentary is the right way for us to use licence fee funds, as if we didn’t provide this service no other broadcaster would.

If any of our 3 teams kick off at unusual times (and are the only team playing) they tend to get full coverage on all frequencies meaning as many people as possible can hear the commentary and we get most value for the licence fee spent.

For example Port Vale’s game against Sunderland this Sunday will be on all frequencies even though that means moving a programme and shortening another which is disruptive – but I think entirely appropriate given the interest in the game.

We cannot not provide radio commentary, just because a game is being shown on TV.
    As you know the TV companies move fixtures to suit their audiences. Also not everyone has access to BT Sport or Sky.

We provide our commentary free of charge to listeners.
    Thanks for your comments.

Andrew
    Andrew Bowman
    Editor BBC Radio Stoke
    Typical politician's answer - ask a direct question and get a reply that doesn't even begin to answer it. For RS as for any politician it's because the truth is inconvenient - they just couldn't be bothered to accommodate fans of little Port Vale.

13. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by Fosse69 View Post
    Did I miss the explanation of why P&G and a match commentary cannot be broadcast at the same time using different frequencies, similar to when different games are broadcast at the same time?
    Also don't say how it can be justified to have just one game covered on three different channels while the game is live on TV (how much money could be saved there?)

They have done the right thing. A radio listener is a radio listener. I would agree 1500 could have been used for P&G if it was available. However, could not be minded to switch my car radio over to find out. So I just turned it all off. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    They have done the right thing. A radio listener is a radio listener. I would agree 1500 could have been used for P&G if it was available. However, could not be minded to switch my car radio over to find out. So I just turned it all off. Peace.

I just don’t see any valid reason to have a match that is live on TV on ALL 3 frequency’s.There will be people that have no interest in football having their listening disrupted.But it’s not only theatre but there is a definite bias towards Stoke City.You only need to listen to P&G after a match.Its Stoke Stoke Stoke.They even manage to keep mentioning Stoke when Stoke they aren’t even playing and during Vale match commentary.One weekend Vale got a total 7 mins of airtime during a full P&G
    Last edited by melv; 09-11-18 at 01:20 AM.

17. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated