Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator Admin team

Match Thread - Port Vale v Cambridge United

We open another page of history with the visit of Cambridge from the Fens. Always a tough encounter, not expecting anything different this time. Probably settle for a draw unless we are surprised by a formation that has been concealed during pre-season. As is now usual, plenty of new faces to discover, and the return of a prodigal son, are just for starters. Hoping for less stress than last season, maybe we will be comfortable, but we are where we are?

2. Poster thanked by

3. Advert Advert

Based on what we've seen in preseason we could be playing any formation come saturday.

I think Rawlinson has been better than Legg at centre half. I think Monty is better as a left back but will Aspin persevere with him in a back 3? Miller looked sharp so will Aspin be tempted to start him even if it means subbing him after an hour or put him on the bench and bring him on later. Oyeleke has to play for me in Conlons absence. Dodds has had a good preseaosn but will we play a formation that suits him because hes not as effective at left midfield, unless you allow him a free role up front.

If we go 4-4-2

Brown

Gibbons -- Rawlinson -- Smith -- Monty

Worrall -- Joyce -- Oyeleke -- Hannant

Miller -- Pope

Brown

Worrall -- Joyce -- Oyeleke -- Hannant

Dodds -- Pope

4-3-3

Brown

Oyeleke -- Joyce -- Hannant

Worrall -- Pope -- Dodds

3-4-3

Brown

Rawlinson -- Smith -- Monty

Gibbons -- Oyeleke -- Joyce -- Hannant

Worrall -- Pope -- Dodds

I still think we should go:

Brown

Gibbons
    Smith
    Rawlinson
    Montano

Oyeleke
    Joyce

Worrall
    Dodds
    Hannant

Pope

Given the current imbalance in our squad, that is probably one of our better starting 11ís.

5-0 hopefully. That would be a nice bit of symmetry.

7. Poster thanked by

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    5-0 hopefully. That would be a nice bit of symmetry.
    It would be elegant, I didn't want to mention the score, but how many played in that game? Would Aspin use it to rally the troops or would it become safety first?

Is it the right time to mention we haven't lost in 14 years on the opening day of the league campaign and Cambridge have a dreadful record at Vale Park?

Hard to predict the early games as no one is sure where we are let alone the opposition, at home I would hope we can get a positive result though.

One of the interesting things will be if Aspin selects Legge.
    Is he one of these players who performs better in competitive matches and improves as the season gets going?
    We do need to sort out the back four and make sure they play together as a unit with the keeper sweeping - and not get caught too far up the pitch trying to play off-side.

11. Poster thanked by

would try 5 3 2 BROWN GIBBONS VASSELL SMITH RAWLINSON MONTY JOYCE OYELEKE DODDS MILLER POPE

I'd play 442:
    Brown
    Gibbo Rawlinson Smith Monty
    Woz Joyce Oye Hannant
    Pope Dodds

Use Miller off the bench second half if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    One of the interesting things will be if Aspin selects Legge.
    Is he one of these players who performs better in competitive matches and improves as the season gets going?
    I do hope so because I've not been impressed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by valiant steve View Post
    I'd play 442:
    Brown
    Gibbo Rawlinson Smith Monty
    Woz Joyce Oye Hannant
    Pope Dodds

Use Miller off the bench second half if needed.
    I'd go with that but Miller instead of Dodds. We're not good enough for 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 players end up spending too much time concentrating on their secondary things rather than their man and personal battles.

16. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated