Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Quest

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfTheTrent View Post
    Although I wasn't around in the 50's I remember Woolliscroft's butchers shop very well, I was very good friends with one of Ted's sons and often stayed at their house at the top of Ruxley Road, next to their meat processing factory across the road from The Red Lion (I think it was called that). Had some great times there, Ted was a brilliant character and always had you laughing for some reason or another.
    I've always found the tales of woodwork, metalwork and Domestic Science intriguing as I went to an all boys grammar school and apart from woodwork at an early age we never had those lessons. I still ended up starting my career as an engineer though but it was chemistry based.
    The demise of the local shop and the independent shops of town centres is a sad one. I had a Saturday job in an independent record shop in Hanley, super cool when you're at school, and I even managed to finish at 2pm when Vale were at home to get to the matches! Life changes, always has, and whilst some things improve invariably some of the best things are lost, it's a great pity.
    It's good to read tales of bygone eras, something I've always had a strong interest in and something that gives people a tangible link with real life of the past. Socio-economic history I suppose.
    I was a chorister in St Mary's and would walk past the Wolliscroft Ruxley Road factory many times. Sometimes before church I would call into a shop at the other end of the row of houses from the Red Lion to buy penny drinks and 'Polo mints.
    *Every new day is a new beginning with new horizons (Barry Edge)
    *Supporting Port Vale, for real supporters, is something that's in your blood. You can't turn it off like a tap (Paul Machin)

2. Poster thanked by

3. Advert Advert

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosse69 View Post
    Brookhouse Farm, that took me back. First farmyard I ever walked through, not many others since either. Quite a novelty for a Hanley lad, and it became part of a regular family walk across the green fields from Dividy Road that became filled with houses. I suppose it was my father`s idea that long walks would give his sons strong legs to play for the Vale. Although in those days young lads did tend to roam or play football when out of school.
    As a born and bred Bucknall boy I well remember the green fields of Ubberley and Bentilee Farms with the Sylvan Brook meandering through them from Upper Hulme to enter Causley Brook near Brookhouse Farm.

We walked many times to pick blackberries all the way down Ubberley Road to the Wagon and Horses in Dividy Road and back again to Twigg Street, Spring Cottage - but we always tried to get home before night time. Proper spooky at night time, especially walking past the Old Ubberley Hall
    *Every new day is a new beginning with new horizons (Barry Edge)
    *Supporting Port Vale, for real supporters, is something that's in your blood. You can't turn it off like a tap (Paul Machin)

5. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated