Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wimbledon 2018

With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by krakaddict View Post
    On a similar point, I would urge anyone to read the book “Bounce” by former British No.1 table tennis player and quality newspaper correspondent Matthew Syed.

It doesn’t make any references to “leftie’s” in particular, but is basically about how practice does make perfect in sport.

The story (and true story) of the chess playing parents is quite remarkable.

I’m not big on reading ,but as an avid sports fan this title had me engrossed from cover to cover.

2. Advert Advert

With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacko51 View Post
    I saw Bahrami play in the veterans doubles with one of my all-time favourites, Henri Leconte, on Ladies Finals day in 2012. It was absolute wonderful to watch - two players who regarded entertainment as a key role in their time on court. Brilliant stuff.

Re Margaret Court - wonderful player but not a very nice person.

I saw Newcombe play at Wimbledon in 1972 and saw Nastase and Tiriac playing in the doubles on the same day. I saw Sampras in 96 and also Jana Novotna. Interesting, the youngsters I had taken with me all thought the women's game was more entertaining than watch Sampras hit the cover off the ball!
    Your point about Court as a person and her recent comments are spot on, as are Sage’s views about Bob Hewitt. I certainly don’t condone either of their actions, I comment merely from a sporting prospectus.

One of my very few times on the show courts was McEnroe v ‘72 Wimbledon champ Stan Smith on No. 1 court. As Sage comments, seeing sport live makes you appreciate how good, and in particular fast, professional sport is. As I remember, McEnroe took Smith apart that day.

The atmosphere was electric as everyone waited for a Mac outburst. We didn’t have to wait long !

McEnroe & the afore mentioned Nastase ( not forgetting Connors )were loved by the British public because they appeared to take on the establishment, something that was unheard of within the “strawberries & cream” supporters of the Wimbledon institution. Although, perhaps, Jeff Tarrango took it too far !
    Last edited by RailwayRowdy; 15-07-18 at 07:29 PM.

4. Poster thanked by

A shame the final was a bit disappointing but Anderson (understandably) looked well below his best whereas Djokovic seemed close to his imperious prime again. He is a fabulous player and still has time on his side to better his current amazing record. I thought he'd struggle to regain his place among the very best but how wrong I was!

6. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated