Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Administrator Admin team

Had Walter Aveyard...

...still been with us today he would be celebrating his 100th birthday
    *Every new day is a new beginning with new horizons (Barry Edge)
    *Supporting Port Vale, for real supporters, is something that's in your blood. You can't turn it off like a tap (Paul Machin)

2. Poster thanked by

3. Advert Advert

And still been good enough to get in the team!

A nice story about Walter - I worked for many years with Joan Hancock, wife of Ray who was Kenís brother. Ray played in goal for Vale for a while before Ray King took over as the No 1. He was a lovely bloke. Anyway, Joan was watching him play a game at the Old Rec in the pouring rain and the pitch an absolute mud bath. At one point Ray kicked the heavy, soaking wet leather ball from his hands up to Walter. Walter jumped to head it and the ball almost knocked him senseless. That was the last time he headed a clearance - ducked underneath all the rest.

Itís hardly surprising hearing that that so many of these older players ended up with long term brain issues.

5. Poster thanked by

Us youngsters can't remember that far back.

The name is familiar though. Wasn't he the bloke who scored the first ever goal at Vale Park?

With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    Us youngsters can't remember that far back.

The name is familiar though. Wasn't he the bloke who scored the first ever goal at Vale Park?
    Yes Sage you’re right. A 1-0 win against Newport on the opening fixture at Vale Park.

Over 30,000 attended that opening game, but gates fell away to below 10,000 later in the season.

The lowest attendance was under 3,000 versus Exeter, but that was the last match of 4 successive home games in a week !

What would Guardiola have made of that !

8. Poster thanked by

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by RailwayRowdy View Post
    Yes Sage you’re right. A 1-0 win against Newport on the opening fixture at Vale Park.

Over 30,000 attended that opening game, but gates fell away to below 10,000 later in the season.

The lowest attendance was under 3,000 versus Exeter, but that was the last match of 4 successive home games in a week !

What would Guardiola have made of that !
    Standing ankle deep in mud, players today don't know they are born.

10. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by Fosse69 View Post
    Standing ankle deep in mud, players today don't know they are born.
    Probably had another job as well. Still todays game is different, you cant expect modern footballers to play 2 games of 90 mins in a week.
    Thank god none of them became professional tennis players. The modern day premier league footballer would get exhausted just fetching Andy Murray his drinks.

12. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by man in the pub View Post
    Probably had another job as well. Still todays game is different, you cant expect modern footballers to play 2 games of 90 mins in a week.
    Thank god none of them became professional tennis players. The modern day premier league footballer would get exhausted just fetching Andy Murray his drinks.
    And letching at other players wives and girlfriends.

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacko51 View Post
    And still been good enough to get in the team!

A nice story about Walter - I worked for many years with Joan Hancock, wife of Ray who was Ken’s brother. Ray played in goal for Vale for a while before Ray King took over as the No 1. He was a lovely bloke. Anyway, Joan was watching him play a game at the Old Rec in the pouring rain and the pitch an absolute mud bath. At one point Ray kicked the heavy, soaking wet leather ball from his hands up to Walter. Walter jumped to head it and the ball almost knocked him senseless. That was the last time he headed a clearance - ducked underneath all the rest.

It’s hardly surprising hearing that that so many of these older players ended up with long term brain issues.
    Yes Jean, I remember both Ken Hancock and Ray King - top goalkeepers. I can also remember Ray King would sometimes walk with supporters up Waterloo Road to Burslem then Vale Park. Now there was posh

I remember too your story about Walter Aveyard almost knock senseless, and how some players suffered in later life consequence of heading heavy and often rain soaked case-balls.

Makes some modern day footballers look proper mards.
    Last edited by Aussie Rules; 12-06-18 at 06:08 AM.
    *Every new day is a new beginning with new horizons (Barry Edge)
    *Supporting Port Vale, for real supporters, is something that's in your blood. You can't turn it off like a tap (Paul Machin)

Oh for the sportsmanlike behaviour of the old days, eh?
    It's probably in Phil Sherwin's wonderful book but Albert Leake was a friend of my father and he told me about the day the Vale beat Blackpool in the Cup. I was mesmerised. Afterwards he said he walked back home up the Hamil and along High Lane as he lived towards Smallthorne. Outside the ground he was surrounded by Blackpool fans eager to shake his hand and pat him on the back. He reckoned no-one gave him any abuse whatsoever, just telling him how well he'd played and wishing him luck in the next round. Amazing.

16. Poster thanked by

With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    Oh for the sportsmanlike behaviour of the old days, eh?
    It's probably in Phil Sherwin's wonderful book but Albert Leake was a friend of my father and he told me about the day the Vale beat Blackpool in the Cup. I was mesmerised. Afterwards he said he walked back home up the Hamil and along High Lane as he lived towards Smallthorne. Outside the ground he was surrounded by Blackpool fans eager to shake his hand and pat him on the back. He reckoned no-one gave him any abuse whatsoever, just telling him how well he'd played and wishing him luck in the next round. Amazing.
    It’s a pity that Matthews didn’t afford Vale players and fans a similar courtesy.

18. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated