Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

Quote Originally Posted by RailwayRowdy View Post
    I genuinely don’t believe that England players of the last decade or so feel any pride in playing for their country. The Euro’s & World Cup competitions simply get in the way of their “much needed” holidays.

Who are today’s Terry Butcher’s for example ? Virtually every other nations players at this summers tournament will see this as the pinnacle of their career. Can England’s players look at themselves in the mirror and honestly say the same thing ?

I think not.
    It's mostly I think down to the attitude of the clubs. At one time it lent prestige to a club to have an international player in the side; now during the domestic season it's treated as an inconvenience, a disruption to the normal business of football. It's a consequence perhaps of having so many non English owners and managers; maybe they attempt to dissuade players from taking part in preparatory friendly games, risking injury and loss of their asset - how many friendlies did Ryan Giggs play for Wales?

It all adds up. Strangely it doesn't seem to happen in other countries but in those countries the tail doesn't wag the dog like the Premier League does with the FA.

2. Advert Advert

Looks like Spain aren't bothered about winning it, they've sacked their manager!

Also, the joint US / Canada / Mexico bid for the 2026 tournament has been successful. The only thing any proper football fan needs to know is the bid is promising revenues of $14 billion that will generate a profit of $11 billion for FIFA.
    So, for every dollar spent by a fan 78.5% is profit.
    I'm in the wrong business! As a fan these days you're just treated like a cash cow to be milked.

With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfTheTrent View Post
    Also, the joint US / Canada / Mexico bid for the 2026 tournament has been successful. The only thing any proper football fan needs to know is the bid is promising revenues of $14 billion that will generate a profit of $11 billion for FIFA.
    So, for every dollar spent by a fan 78.5% is profit.
    I'm in the wrong business! As a fan these days you're just treated like a cash cow to be milked.
    Mexico again ? This will be their THIRD World Cup in my lifetime, assuming I’m still breathing in 2026.

Have I missed something about our Latin friends ? I thought it was just a barren, poverty stricken, lawless, drug producing virtual third world country.

Perhaps I’m wrong. But then again, this is FIFA.

6. Poster thanked by

Mexico again ? This will be their THIRD World Cup in my lifetime, assuming Iím still breathing in 2026.

Have I missed something about our Latin friends ? I thought it was just a barren, poverty stricken, lawless, drug producing virtual third world country.

Perhaps Iím wrong. But then again, this is FIFA.
    Drug cartels with fat Brown envelopes backed up by some serious firepower?
    Blatter's gone but what's changed? They're still pigs at the trough.

8. Poster thanked by

Mexico again ? This will be their THIRD World Cup in my lifetime, assuming I’m still breathing in 2026.

Perhaps I’m wrong. But then again, this is FIFA.
    Mexico staged the World Cup 1970 and 1986 and the USA in 1994.
    It does make you wonder doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by For Us All View Post
    Mexico staged the World Cup 1970 and 1986 and the USA in 1994.
    It does make you wonder doesn't it?
    Remember when the World Cup went to South Africa? All the pundits before the award reckoned England would get it. Suddenly a lot of FIFA votes went SA's way - you can only speculate why.

With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    What I find quite astonishing is that after the ‘62 finals in Chile, South America staged but ONE tournament in a whopping 52 years !

For a continent with such a proud footballing tradition and heritage, how can that be right ? Meanwhile, finals were awarded to those footballing powerhouses of USA, Japan and Sth Korea.

Still, all that seems quite plausible when compared to Qatar and the seemingly equally corrupt Russian bid.

Ah well, as with all the cyclists, its easier to simply carry on taking the tablets.
    Last edited by RailwayRowdy; 14-06-18 at 07:40 AM.

It's described as a joint bid but it's not really as it's heavily weighted (As everything is) to the US. 80 games. 60 in the States with 10 each in Canada and Mexico

Tunisia will be a tough, tough game for us on Monday. They are arguably the best team from Africa. I watched them against Spain and they looked very well organised and well drilled, decent on the ball and also quite a physical side. I remember watching England beat Tunisia in the World Cup in the 90's (98 I think?) and we bullied them in the end, I don't think we'll be doing that this time. If we don't get an early goal and make them change their gameplan a little bit it could be a very long and nervy evening.

What I find quite astonishing is that after the Ď62 finals in Chile, South America staged but ONE tournament in a whopping 52 years !

For a continent with such a proud footballing tradition and heritage, how can that be right ? Meanwhile, finals were awarded to those footballing powerhouses of USA, Japan and Sth Korea.

Still, all that seems quite plausible when compared to Qatar and the seemingly equally corrupt Russian bid.

Ah well, as with all the cyclists, its easier to simply carry on taking the tablets.
    After the US/Canada/Mexico joint bid, my guess is that the World Cup will be in Asia, either in India (world's second most populous nation with the fourth highest football league attendances in the world) or Indonesia (world's fourth most populous nation with growing football support). Or, as an outside bet, China. For FIFA it's all about the global spread of the game and these are markets with huge development potential. Money talks!
    Last edited by CambridgeDon; 14-06-18 at 11:42 AM.

15. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated