Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

World Cup 2018

Just ten days to go before the tournament kicks off with the opening match match between Russia and Saudi Arabia.
    Not many will give England a chance against the likes of Brazil and Argentina from South America and the European big-boys of Germany,France and Spain.Getting out of the group won't be easy for England but we live in hope.
    Makes you wonder how strong the German side is when they can afford to leave Leroy Same at home?

2. Advert Advert

Will we win it? Probably not. Can we win it? Of course it's possible, we just need a bit of luck along the way. I certainly don't subscribe to the thinking that we should give up and prepare for 2022 instead. It's 11 v 11 - it's perfectly possible that we could do well, luck out by Germany or Brazil being knocked out early unexpectedly and who knows, we might even win a penalty shoot out at some point ;-)

I certainly don't think we should regard getting out of the group as a success, Belgium are no great shakes despite their high world ranking and we don't even need to finish above them to get out of the group.

There have been 13 World Cups since and including 1966 when we won it. Our next best performance was Semi Finals in 1990. Lets be honest we are a quarter final team, anything beyond that history tells us is an over performance. I stopped hoping for another win before the South African tournament , 50 years of hurt. Glad I lowered my expectations as the England team certainly didn't disappoint. At least I can remember our only triumph, 8 years old at the time. Will of course be watching the tournament but no longer with high hopes.

If we play as a team, have our fair share of luck and Harry Kane has a good tournament I donít see why we can have a positive one even if we donít win it. There seems to be less pressure on us now we canít boast the likes of Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, and just maybe we can finally play with a bit of freedom and enjoyment instead of our players looking mortified.

Iíd like to see this team:

Pickford

Trippier
    Walker
    Dier
    Cahill
    Young

Delph
    Loftus Cheek
    Alli

Sterling
    Kane

Subs:

Butland
    Maguire
    Rose
    Henderson
    Lingard
    Rashford
    Vardy

Stones hasnít played enough football for City lately to warrant a place in the side. I think Delph is under-rated and he can get about the pitch much better than Eric Dier when heís playing that role.

Loftus Cheek can bring the ball forward well in the same way as Adam Lallana can when heís fit and on form. It was a toss up between Lingard and Alli. Lingard is coming off the better season, but I think Alli has a higher ceiling in terms of ability.

If Kane and Sterling perform how they do for their clubs, and it is a big if, then along with Alli they can cause any team major problems. Some great subs to have on the bench too in the likes of Vardy, Rashford and Lingard if we need a goal.
    Last edited by TylerB; 04-06-18 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerB View Post
    If we play as a team, have our fair share of luck and Harry Kane has a good tournament I don’t see why we can have a positive one even if we don’t win it. There seems to be less pressure on us now we can’t boast the likes of Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, and just maybe we can finally play with a bit of freedom and enjoyment instead of our players looking mortified.

I’d like to see this team:

Pickford

Trippier
    Walker
    Dier
    Cahill
    Young

Delph
    Loftus Cheek
    Alli

Sterling
    Kane

Subs:

Butland
    Maguire
    Rose
    Henderson
    Lingard
    Rashford
    Vardy

Stones hasn’t played enough football for City lately to warrant a place in the side. I think Delph is under-rated and he can get about the pitch much better than Eric Dier when he’s playing that role.

Loftus Cheek can bring the ball forward well in the same way as Adam Lallana can when he’s fit and on form. It was a toss up between Lingard and Alli. Lingard is coming off the better season, but I think Alli has a higher ceiling in terms of ability.

If Kane and Sterling perform how they do for their clubs, and it is a big if, then along with Alli they can cause any team major problems. Some great subs to have on the bench too in the likes of Vardy, Rashford and Lingard if we need a goal.
    I'll go with:-

Pickford

Stones
    Cahill
    Maguire

Walker
    Delph
    Alli
    Loftus-Cheek
    Rose

Kane
    Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by TylerB View Post
    Iíd like to see this team:

Pickford

Trippier
    Walker
    Dier
    Cahill
    Young

Delph
    Loftus Cheek
    Alli

Sterling
    Kane

Subs:

Butland
    Maguire
    Rose
    Henderson
    Lingard
    Rashford
    Vardy

Some great subs to have on the bench too in the likes of Vardy, Rashford and Lingard if we need a goal.
    There's no need to specifically select subs as every squad member that is not in the starting XI is available to come on as a sub. (.....they use bloody long benches in the World Cup & Euros!)

8. Poster thanked by

Got a manager who is experienced in international tournaments and who has visible plans for the future and present he is putting in to action. He has given the players we have the best chance of succeeding. Our squad is made up of relatively young players, but who nonetheless have played at a high level. Player for player I think only a few teams are stronger than us.

This is what I would do, based on the squad, set out in a rough 4-2-3-1, even though I know it will be 3 at the back...

Pickford
    Walker
    Stones
    Cahill
    Young (didn't think I would be typing that!)
    Henderson
    Alli
    Sterling
    Loftus-Cheek
    Rashford
    Kane

When you compare it to the England side of years again, something like the below, it really is like night and day. I'm just hoping the side can play without fear seeing as nobody is expecting much at all from us, whereas our previous generation always went into tournament as one of the favourites despite failing in tournament football so much. (Selected 4-4-2 for both sides)

James - Pickford

G. Neville - Walker
    Ferdinand - Stones
    Terry - Cahill
    Cole - Rose

Beckham - Sterling
    Gerrard - Dier
    Lampard - Lingard
    Scholes - Lallana

Rooney - Alli
    Owen - Kane

The only one's you can make a genuine case for to get in our side from 10 years ago is Pickford, Walker and Kane.

Pickford walker rose dier cahill macguire sterling lingard kane vardy young

We should get to the quarters, but that's as far as we'll get, as we'll most probably play Brazil or Germany. The depth in the other nations squads is quite scary, and most the players they've all left out would all walk in to England's side.

14. Poster thanked by

15. Advert Advert

FREE Prediction Leagues
We have three Predictions League that are FREE to play. They are hosted by our friends at Stats FC and youíll need to register (for free) with them to play. Links to the three leagues are below:

League Two
Premier League
Champions League

sponsored by:

VALIANT WINDOW CLEANING SERVICE
Contract/domestic work undertaken.
Can clean upto 60ft
Call/text Adam on 0774 2916 242
Email: adamfozzer@hotmail.co.uk

On this day...

From the frontpage
Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated