Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator Admin team

Match Thread: Cambridge Utd v Port Vale

A longish trip to end a longish season, it started with an away win will it end with one? Whatever happens, hopefully more will happen in the close season, but a positive result would give us a lift with maybe a star emerging? I think we all need a break.

2. Poster thanked by

3. Advert Advert

Definitely need a break.
    Horrible season, two in a row.
    Club has been all over the place.
    Hoping we now have the right people to start afresh and stabilise things.
    A steady improvement will do me.

5. Poster thanked by

Bored on Excel this morning so I did this based on previous crap seasons in Division Four before they brought in 3 points for a win in 1981.

1978/79 season
    PL 46 W14 D14 L18 PTS 42
    (= 56 points adjusted to 3 points for a win)

1979/80 season
    PL 46 W12 D12 L22 PTS 36
    (= 48 points adjusted to 3 points for a win)

1980/81 season
    PL 46 W12 D15 L19 PTS 39
    (= 51 points adjusted to 3 points for a win)

2008/09 season
    PL 46 W13 D9 L24 PTS 48
    (= 35 points adjusted to 2 points for a win)

2017/18 season
    PL 45 W11 D14 L20 PTS 47
    (= 36 points adjusted to 2 points for a win)

Just looking forward to seeing this season finish. Tomorrow should be a good sign who Aspin and the gang are keeping and releasing.

For those driving. The A14 from Huntingdon to Cambridge - a lot of it is down to 40mph due to road works.

I'm conflicted because, as bad as we've been, I hate football not being on. I suppose we need a break this time - at least we've got the World Cup to bridge the gap.

I don't mind Aspo being experimental again, as much as it would be nice to finish with a win. We need to look at players and systems.

3-5-2 for me tomorrow would be worth looking at.

My team after that pathetic no show last week .
    Hornby
    Raglan Smith Hoskins Gibbons
    Worrall Tonge Harness Hannant
    Dior
    Turner
    High press with Hannant being proficient with Turner and Dior being the high energy first half ,u chase ,u put some blood on them shirts .
    Id replace Smith but theres no one else so once again he gets a shirt ,well i hope he does a damn sight better than last week .
    Tonge and Harness as a midfield duo would be fine not Hannant he doesnt look comfortable playing there so dont play him there play him either with the energetic Gibbons on the left or behind the striker as the high energy press player .
    Pugh dropped from my team .
    Second half replace Dior with Benns and Turner with Pope but a high intensity must be maintained .
    UTV

For all those going to the game, I've just been reliably informed that the Corner House pub (one I listed in my real ale guide) will NOT be opening on Saturday before the game. Apparently, this is because the landlady has heard of the trouble caused by Vale away fans (at Lincoln and Grimsby, I think) and has decided not to take the risk. Rightly or wrongly, the reputation of some of our less well behaved brethren goes before us, potentially spoiling the day for the rest of us.

To be honest, that's pretty dreadful stuff - a minority again besmirching the club's good name. If Garlick is looking how to impress the football league on measures the club is taking to improve supporter behaviour away from home, he could do a lot worse than make the sale of away tickets contingent on Club Membership. Then, any supporter reported to the club would have to answer for their behaviour.

Apologies in advance to all the Vale supporters whose behaviour is not in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Bored on Excel this morning so I did this based on previous crap seasons in Division Four before they brought in 3 points for a win in 1981.

1978/79 season
    PL 46 W14 D14 L18 PTS 42
    (= 56 points adjusted to 3 points for a win)

1979/80 season
    PL 46 W12 D12 L22 PTS 36
    (= 48 points adjusted to 3 points for a win)

1980/81 season
    PL 46 W12 D15 L19 PTS 39
    (= 51 points adjusted to 3 points for a win)

2008/09 season
    PL 46 W13 D9 L24 PTS 48
    (= 35 points adjusted to 2 points for a win)

2017/18 season
    PL 45 W11 D14 L20 PTS 47
    (= 36 points adjusted to 2 points for a win)

So we're on target for our worst ever season. Bit strange really as I remember the 78-81 period and the football we 'played' was truly abysmal, consistently on a par with the worst we've seen this season but the difference is we've actually played fairly well in a few games this season. I can't remember ever playing well in the 78-81 period, just ok sometimes to bumble a win, however, that could just be time clouding my memory, I've been trying to block that experience out of my mind for almost 40 years!

It would be nice to finish on a positive with a win, or at least a draw, but I want Aspin to carry on from last week in terms of team selection and test out his possibles, especially youth, for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vale fan in Alsager View Post
    Hornby
    Dior
    Turner
    Think you’re wide of the mark VFIA.

For a start, Raglan has gone back to Oxford and will only be used in an emergency (per Aspin last Saturday). Howkins (aka as Hoskins in Alsager) will probably not play due to injury after last week, no point taking a risk with his knee injury unless he is definitely coming back next season. Can’t see Harness being involved either, probably back at Burton. And again, you’ve left Pope out. Will be interesting to see the team tomorrow after last week’s non display and Kay being suspended. Think Tonge will be back for Kay.

13. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by Vale fan in Alsager View Post
    Hornby
    Dior
    Turner
    High press with Hannant being proficient with Turner and Dior being the high energy first half ,u chase ,u put some blood on them shirts .
    Id replace Smith but theres no one else so once again he gets a shirt ,well i hope he does a damn sight better than last week .
    Tonge and Harness as a midfield duo would be fine not Hannant he doesnt look comfortable playing there so dont play him there play him either with the energetic Gibbons on the left or behind the striker as the high energy press player .
    Pugh dropped from my team .
    Second half replace Dior with Benns and Turner with Pope but a high intensity must be maintained .
    UTV
    I've got to be honest mate I admire your enthusiasm and share your love for the Vale but your suggested team selections never cease to amaze me, along with your opinions on some players, eg, Nathan Smith or even Pope. If I'm ever in Alsager when there's a full moon I'll listen out for you barking and howling!!

15. Poster thanked by

Administrator Admin team
    Room for Benns on the bench?

17. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated