Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Summer Window to end early

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43161444

Even less time to recruit 30th choice players

2. Advert Advert

With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    As I see it, it is not the date of the window that is the problem but more so the actual window itself. Could anyone tell me what purpose it serves ? To me it’s just a complete nonsense which has no attributes whatsoever. But I’ve only been watching the game for 55 years so what do I know ?

Smurf out

Quote Originally Posted by RailwayRowdy View Post
    As I see it, it is not the date of the window that is the problem but more so the actual window itself. Could anyone tell me what purpose it serves ? To me itís just a complete nonsense which has no attributes whatsoever. But Iíve only been watching the game for 55 years so what do I know ?
    It means teams can plan and not have the rug taken from under them. Imagine a few games down the line and we are dragged back into the relegation mire and then someone wants to sign smith and Pope.
    Itís also fairer. It tries to help avoid silly money being thrown at trying to avoid relegation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It favours the teams who can afford larger squads and encourages the stockpiling of players.

With the Druids in sometimes sunny Nth Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyregs View Post
    It means teams can plan and not have the rug taken from under them. Imagine a few games down the line and we are dragged back into the relegation mire and then someone wants to sign smith and Pope.
    It’s also fairer. It tries to help avoid silly money being thrown at trying to avoid relegation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Look at us now. On the crest of a slump, injuries reducing what is already a poor squad and Aspin can do Bo Diddly. You may well say that the manager has two windows to sign players, but who can predict what the future holds with injuries, loss of form etc. All the summer window does is to encourage managers to sign loads of players to cover all eventualities, most of which may not even occur. So, in my view, the window encourages over spending and then ties the managers hands when trying to address problems that invariably occur. Usually out of the blue, much akin to the Gunning & especially Anderson scenario’s
    Last edited by RailwayRowdy; 23-02-18 at 09:51 AM.

Summer or Winter does it matter to us

Quote Originally Posted by Regal Beagle View Post
    Smurf out
    You are so witty and topical.

I miss the days when teams could sign players all through the season but that isn't conducive to "exciting" deadline day programmes on Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Doha View Post
    You are so witty and topical.
    I'd say he's Totally Witty And Topical !

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperValiant1876 View Post
    I miss the days when teams could sign players all through the season but that isn't conducive to "exciting" deadline day programmes on Sky.
    Because of the massive money issue we have in football (& how clubs today would almost definitely try to disrupt other teams during the season by throwing speculation over important players), the windows are probably needed, however I definitely agree about the excitement around them.

I enjoyed our thrashing at Cheltenham more than any of the past few deadlines. It's probably exciting for the casual top 6 supporter, obsessing over the ridiculous amounts of money their team has thrown at overrated players, but IMO for the rest, it's pretty dull (or even upsetting if you're a Vale fan).

13. Poster thanked by

14. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated