onevalefan.co.ukonevalefan.co.uk
Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan.co.uk forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Worst pitch in league football and the National league

What do the ground staff actually do I was told by 5 players the pitch is that bad they can't pass, run, or simply play any football on it. I know speedy has been here years but the pitch is a disgrace.

2. Advert Advert

Possibly another area where a lack of funds has finally caught up with Vale.The training pitch looks in better condition!!!!

Going say no doubt this is linked in some way to Smurf withdrawing funds or equipment (because of the money) from this area. Speedy did a first rate job for years before Smurfwaite arrived.

5. Poster thanked by

Not seen it this bad since the LDV winning season. More cutbacks from uncle Norm?

They tell me just as heavy and it is causing injuries through being so heavy

I believe our pitch is currently the only one in the Football League which still has a clay rather than sand base - hence the poor drainage. It hasn't be properly replaced since the ground was built in 1950. The whole thing wants digging up and starting again from scratch.

9. Poster thanked by

Agreed Jacko..... Having said that I know clubs with no money and no tools and no team of 4 full time ground staff but the pitch is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko51 View Post
    I believe our pitch is currently the only one in the Football League which still has a clay rather than sand base - hence the poor drainage. It hasn't be properly replaced since the ground was built in 1950. The whole thing wants digging up and starting again from scratch.
    I agree. It goes against the grain but I think that It's unfair to lay the blame at Smurthwaites door. The fact is that successive owners have failed to address the problem because of the considerable cost involved.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Bradfords pitch is awful and they have plenty of investment.

13. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko51 View Post
    For those of us who are of an older generation we can remember when the pitch was RAISED near 4 foot above the terracing because it was known to have drainage issues, This was because the whole area was a tip and all sorts of **** was dumped in it to cheaply raise the level in 1948/49 era. Once it was full there was a layer of clay put all over it to keep the crap from bubbling up. Then the soil was put on top and all around the pitch was a nice concrete wall and at the bottom of the concrete wall there were 4" holes that were always dripping water - this was the drainage ... And low and behold Bill Bell went and built the terracing up so that all the initial drainage pipes were covered in concrete . So the problem precedes Smurf by several years. I'm sure there must be others in their 50s and 60s who remember the wall all around the pitch ?
    But hey - ang on a minute didn't the pitch get dowsed in many fire tenders full of water prior to The Tottenham game ? Wasn't the pitch so **** that Tottenham wouldn't risk Ardilles ? And didnt we win through guts, drive, ambition, passion and a never give in attitude - Can't remember anyone complaining about the pitch then other than Tottenham and Jimmy Greaves .

It seems to have got worse over the last few seasons. Itís an absolute pudding and so soft itís untrue. I spoke to a player few weeks back and he said the same as the OP in thatís its far far worse than it looks from the stands.

Must take a lot of energy out of the players wvery other week playing on that.

It needs digging up and sorting out end of season, maybe smurf can loan us the money to do it

16. Advert Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated