onevalefan.co.ukonevalefan.co.uk
Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Squad come January 2018

So I keep reading on social media that we need a clear out in January and need fresh blood....
    Just been looking at the squad as listed on the official site and I cant see to many that we would look to move on. Here is my take on it,

Goalkeeper - we have 4, Hornby on loan already, so leaves 3.

Defenders - Yates / Knopps out for the season (Davis also injured). Walford & Dennis maybe move out on loan if not already. Wilson & Kelly maybe out the door? leaves us with 6 fit defenders.

Midfield - Calverly may be on loan already? Stobs gone back. Defreitas and Middleton try to move on. Leaves us with 7 players.

Strikers - we have 4 now as Pyke gone back.

So squad is now 20 fit players (of them 3 are goalkeepers).

My view is that we have enough. IF and a big if, we can keep them fit i.e.. Barnett, Forrester etc. Season is done, we wont go down, out of all the cups, why do we need to waste more money bringing in players in January?

2. Advert Advert

We are still a Tom Pope injury away from trouble and regardless need to build for 2018/19.

I'd look to get another keeper and a goal scoring central midfielder, possibly an experienced centre half too.

Pyke
    Stobbs
    Wilson
    Hornby

Out the door for me.

Otherwise over 10 games we are 3rd in the form table so the squad isnt as bad as first feared, was just badly managed beyond belief and had zero confidence.

4. Poster thanked by

Priorities for me (in no particular order):

1. A steady, reliable, consistent goalkeeper - Chris Neal
    2. Some legs in central midfield - A Doug Loft type player
    3. Extending Ben Whitfield's loan until the end of the season - we are so much more creative and offer more of a goal threat when he's in the team

I have faith in Aspin and Rudge to sort these issues out.

6. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by valefan16 View Post

Pyke
    Stobbs
    Wilson
    Hornby

Out the door for me
    Add Middleton and DeFreitas to that list for me.

8. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by pjg1876 View Post
    Add Middleton and DeFreitas to that list for me.
    I forgot about them two actually!

Looks like we agree on the ones to depart then. Its just really hard getting quality in January as well. I know we have had some good ones over the years like Lee Hughes, Darren Purse etc. but if there are any good players you would think they would be playing already.

I’d keep Kelly, doing well on loan byall accounts.
    I’ve always thought this squad had more potential than the results early season would suggest. Goal scorers are like hen’s teeth but that back up for Pope is all I’d be looking for at present. I can’t see us going down or making play offs so better to do business in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant62 View Post
    I’d keep Kelly, doing well on loan byall accounts.
    I’ve always thought this squad had more potential than the results early season would suggest. Goal scorers are like hen’s teeth but that back up for Pope is all I’d be looking for at present. I can’t see us going down or making play offs so better to do business in the summer.
    Frustrating Pope didn't hit this form until October or he would have 20 already and be on target to match 2012/13 wouldn't he! Should easily hit 20-25 you'd expect.

I reckon Barnett will improve with fitness and game time if he can avoid injury too, hes always been decent at this level.

I'd be looking to ship out:

Hornby
    Wilson
    Harness
    deFreitas
    Tonge
    Middleton
    Forrester

Stobbs and Pyke are gone already. I hope Denton stays but I reckon he might go back due to lack of game time. I'd also terminate Harness too. There's no real end product to him.

I'd look to bring in another left-back if Denton goes back, unless they rate Kelly enough to bring him in to the fold. We look really short in midfield but there's no point in having players hanging around that aren't good enough (Harness, Tonge, Middleton, DeFreitas) if we can find players that can do a job. Same goes up front with Forrester, just doesn't seem right for us at all. I would go after a pacey striker to offer an alternative.

The priority in January must be to get Whitfield signed up either to the end of the season or hopefully permanently. Other than that, we just need to reduce the size of the squad. The ones out on the field look happy, having 20 odd players on the bench or in the stand isn't healthy for a dressing room and will eventually affect us.

Doesn't Gunnings contract expire in Jan? I would keep if he's willing to extend

15. Poster thanked by

Quote Originally Posted by stupers View Post
    I'd be looking to ship out:

Hornby
    Wilson
    Harness
    deFreitas
    Tonge
    Middleton
    Forrester

Stobbs and Pyke are gone already. I hope Denton stays but I reckon he might go back due to lack of game time. I'd also terminate Harness too. There's no real end product to him.

I'd look to bring in another left-back if Denton goes back, unless they rate Kelly enough to bring him in to the fold. We look really short in midfield but there's no point in having players hanging around that aren't good enough (Harness, Tonge, Middleton, DeFreitas) if we can find players that can do a job. Same goes up front with Forrester, just doesn't seem right for us at all. I would go after a pacey striker to offer an alternative.

The priority in January must be to get Whitfield signed up either to the end of the season or hopefully permanently. Other than that, we just need to reduce the size of the squad. The ones out on the field look happy, having 20 odd players on the bench or in the stand isn't healthy for a dressing room and will eventually affect us.
    I don't believe that Aspin rates Denton as a left back, if so why didn't he start him on Saturday and why is Gunning, (a centre half), preferred there? The writing could be on the wall for him. The same applies to the other players you've listed who have been frozen out, they must be the ones wanted out by the management.

I may be in the minority but I think Tonge is good enough for us. I think hes one of the few players in there who can potentially dictate play and keep the ball.

I think players like Harness and Denton going will depend on who comes in to replace them and how much of a priority other positions take over those players.

Its a big few months too for players like Forrester, Turner and Reeves. They are all playing for a new contract I beleive and really need to make an impact if called upon.

Quote Originally Posted by londonvale View Post
    Doesn't Gunnings contract expire in Jan? I would keep if he's willing to extend
    Yes it does.
    Last edited by PV1973; 18-12-17 at 05:02 PM.

17. Advert Advert

FREE Prediction Leagues
We have three Predictions League that are FREE to play. They are hosted by our friends at Stats FC and you’ll need to register (for free) with them to play. Links to the three leagues are below:

League Two
Premier League
Champions League

sponsored by:

VALIANT WINDOW CLEANING SERVICE
Contract/domestic work undertaken.
Can clean upto 60ft
Call/text Adam on 0774 2916 242
Email: adamfozzer@hotmail.co.uk

On this day...

From the frontpage
Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated