onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Away at Huddersfield, 15 years ago

mr.hobblesworth

Apparently, yesterday was 15 years ago since we escaped relegation at Huddersfield and, in the process, sent Manchester City and our beloved neighbours down to what is now League One. This was probably my 2nd favourite ever away match and I still smile when I think of the players celebrating (and Rudge and Bell taking to the field together) in front of the away end. Of course, that would never ever happen now because some idiots would have invaded the pitch, meaning that our players and staff couldn't celebrate with our fans and the Huddersfield [players couldn't do the same with theirs (and applaud us in the process).

It's weird to think that Rudgie was sacked only 5 months later.

Advert

Remember going Huddersfield many years ago and we were in a massive terraced side of the ground, a bit of mither broke out and me mate Fizzer kicked out at some one,missed,and broke his leg when it hit a barrier, THEM WERE THE DAYS :)

I had a fiver at a score of 1-4.......Calling for Huddersfield to score late on, even shouting for a penalty for them......got some really strange looks from those around me for sure!

I recall we went up by car and got there fairly early. Walked back to a chippy we saw on the way in, the lady was just about to shut shop. I asked her why she was shutting and she said she didn't expect any more business that afternoon - I suggested to her that hordes of very hungry Vale fans were about to pass her shop and that she would be mad to pass up on all of that trade - not sure wether she stayed open or not.

That was an amazing day.

For me that was my favourite ever away day. I remember being sat in the stand watching the Vale hammer Huddersfield at the opposite end in the first half & just thinking how surreal it was. Made all the more surreal by listening to the radio with Stoke & City being relegated. Good times.

Archived