onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is the current squad good enough to stay in League 1

barkis

Advert

It sounds harsh on the players who've got us here but it's a shame certain players were signed upto two year deals at the start of the campaign. We may be restricted to a degree on how much we can strengthen in the summer since we'll undoubtably be carrying the wages of players who won't be able to cut the mustard.

Just as a thought who did Crewe get in after they got rid of their two best players pre-season? Can you say that they're stronger now than at the back end of last term? Their style of play does probably suit adapting to League 1 better than ours though.

While we're here, not many will like this but I think Chris Neal has been extremely poor for a while now.

Very weak on many of the goals we concede lately, kicking has gone to pot as well.

That'll be the benefit of working with Grewy full time!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tom Pope wasn't a goalscorer until last August

Fair enough but Tom Pope contributed with a lot of assists last season Calvin Andrew for me is cover for Pope on league 2 at best

You can't take a chance on every poor player doing Pope has its just not going to happen that often

How can people say we won't stay up with this squad? There are some bad teams in league 1. We beat Walsall and tranmere this year and should have beat Sheffield. At the moment id say we would finish somewhere around where Shrewsbury are now. Just below mid table I think. 4-5 players in key areas and we will be right in the mix.

Neal - yes

Yates - yes

Purse - no

Chilvers - no

McCombe - no

Jones - yes

Duffy - yes

JMW - yes

Dodds - yes

Griff - no

Loft - yes

Vincent - no

Birchall - yes

Morsy - yes

Hughes - yes

Pope - yes

Williamson - yes

Andrew - no

Shuker - undecided like him as a squad player.

Taylor - no

Need a few squad players and 4-5 key players, 2 centre backs at least, 1 centre mid and 1 winger.

Neal, Duffy, Loft, Myrie-Williams, Pope

I think these are certainties in our starting 11 next season providing that we do finish the job. If Adams signs Jones and Griffith permanently in the summer then you could probably add them in there too, and perhaps McCombe.

I know to some of you, this will feel like me jumping the gun, but as far as I'm concerned we're virtually up (I think we need one more point). Assuming we DO get promoted, how many of you think our current squad is good enough to survive or even thrive in League 1?

Though at times and in some matches we have played good passing football, I have to say that generally the standard of our football has been average at best, often resorting to aimless long balls, like at Rochdale on Saturday. Yes, we've scored loads of goals, but generally against poor League 2 defences and how many have been scored by slick passing football? While our often long ball game is partly a product of the need for "direct" football in the division we're in, how much of our lack of style is also down to a lack of genuine quality in the squad?

Here are my views on most of the major players in our current squad as per their likely performance in the next league up. They are not gospel, just my views, so I welcome a debate on this.

Neale - a good enough keeper for League 1. One of the best we've had in many years.

Yates - a very good defender, underrated by many (not me) and improving going forward - I think he'd be an asset in League 1 - definitely good enough in my view - like him alot

Jones - despite poor recent performances, good enough for League 1 but no higher

Purse - a good stopper in League 2 and a good talker, but slow and ageing and would probably be found out in League 1

McCombe - basically the same as Purse

Chilvers - despite a lack of pace he shares with Purse and McCombe, I actually think he reads the game pretty well and is a solid defender. I think he may be ok in League 1 with a faster central defensive partner with him - a bit like a poor man's Dean Glover.

Griffith - absolutely inspirational recent performances as a ball winner - along with Yates our most effective player in the last 3 or 4 matches, but don't think he's really good enough overall for League1

Loft - a lot will disagree with me, but though his work rate can't be faulted, I don't think his ability is League 1 standard, so though a "keeper", not sure he'll do well in the League above

Dodds - though often ineffective in games, has the ability to play at the higher level, so I'd keep him

Myrie-Williams - has genuine ability and pace, though inconsistent and can fade from games - but definitely League 1 standard

Vincent - really unsure on him - borderline League 1 standard but his pace is always an asset

Pope - love him to bits but even though we'd have to keep him, don't think he'll get to double figures in League 1, though really hope I'm wrong

Shuker - bit part player in League 2, and though has much needed passing and dead ball ability, just think he's too lightweight for the lowest two divisions

Hughes - has ability to thrive in League 1 (maybe 10-15 goals if played regularly) though ageing - would keep

Williamson - genuine asset of pace and I think he's one who could go on improving - so I'd definitely keep him for League 1

Andrew - 'fraid not!

Morsy - industrious but not much passing ability - doubt he'd do well in League 1

Duffy - think he could go on improving so one to keep I think as a squad player

Taylor - 'fraid not!

Birchall - borderline League 1 standard now though I'd probably keep as a squad player

As the current squad stands I think we'd struggle to survive in League 1 - we desperately need a few ball playing midfielders and a couple of centre backs, preferably with pace and who can pass the ball out of defence (though they won't come cheap) - think we also need one more decent striker - so I think we need at least 5 established League 1 or above quality players to survive or thrive should we get promoted (2 central defenders, 2 midfielders and a striker) - what do people think?

Totally agree bar a few....

Chilvers....not good enough

Hughes.....one too many seasons, squad player at best

Morsy.......believe he is good enough and hopefully better pitches in a higher division will suit him

Vincent.....not good enough

If we keep the same squad we will struggle, we must sign 4 or 5 new players.

Archived