onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is the current squad good enough to stay in League 1

barkis

I've been thinking about this too recently. Although I don't think we're too far off League 1 standard, we do need some changes to the squad...

Goalkeepers

Chris Neal - Great 'keeper for this league. Been Mickeys best signing I think. Definately good enough. Verdict: Keep, first team

Sam Johnson - Good prospect, needs some experience though Verdict: Keep, Loan out

Ryan Boot - Same as Johnson, can't comment as I haven't seen him Verdict: Keep, Loan out

Defenders

Adam Yates - (RB/RWB/LB) Everytime he gets dropped he comes back a better player. Has been one of our better performers recently and deserves a chance in League 1 Verdict: Keep, squad player

Richard Duffy - (RB/CB) Not too sure on him. Haven't been that impressed by him when he's played but he is steady Verdict: Keep, squad player

John McCombe - (CB) He's been with us a while now but not too sure if he can make the step up, unfortunately. Good League 2 player Verdict: Release

Darren Purse - (CB) Makes a lot of mistakes for me and can't turn. Too slow and a bit past it I'm afraid Verdict: Release

Liam Chilvers - (CB) Has picked up recently a lot. Reads the game well and think he would really benefit from a MA pre-season Verdict: Keep, squad player

Clayton McDonald - (CB) Although he's on loan he is still with us! Still young and shows potential but think he wouldn't be all that effective in a higher league Verdict: Release

Joe Davis - (CB) Shows potential but Mickey doesn't show much faith in younger players. Definately one for the future but needs experience Verdict: Keep, loan out

Dougie Price - (CB) Haven't seen him play but must be decent to have been rewarded with a contract. he's only on a six month one though and with Mickey reluctant to give younger players a go, he'll need to go on loan and impress to earn an extended stay Verdict: Loan out

Tom Morris - (LB) Same as Davis, Johnson, Boot and Price. Needs competitive game time that he is not going to get at Vale Verdict: Loan out

Daniel Jones - (LB/LWB) Has been brilliant since he signed. Had a rare poor game against Aldershot but showed what he is all about against Burton, he was my MOTM despite all the goalscorers that night. Verdict: Keep, first team

Midfielders

Jennison Myrie-Williams - (RM/RW/LM/LW) Has been recognised by other managers as a dangerous player. Has great ability and speed. He's still young so he can get better. Over the summer I hope he practices on using his right foot for crossing and tracking back. If he does this he will be just as dangerous and we will have a strong right side. However if he fails to track back we could be really weak there... Verdict: Keep, first team

Chris Shuker - (CM/RM) The only player we have who can take a decent set piece really. However he's too lightweight in the centre unless in a midfield three. We could probably get someone to replace him Verdict: Release

Sam Morsy - (CDM/CM) I really rate Sam so should be kept on. Maybe loan him out for a season or just keep as a squad player. Verdict: Keep, loan/squad player

Kingsley James - (CM) Same as Morsy. Has potential but needs game time Verdict: Keep, loan out

Doug Loft - (CM/LB/LM) Consistently reliable. Contrary to the OP I think he will be fine in League 1. Must say though I prefer him on the Left with Jones, just needs to stop dropping into the centre Verdict: Keep, first team

Rob Taylor - (LB/LWB/LM/LW) An exciting player going forward. He has good pace and can cross a ball. He has proven in the cup that he can do it against the bigger teams. I remember Scunthorpe, Sheffield Wednesday and Burnley all saying he was a major threat. However he does lack the footballing brain, so maybe League 1 is too much of a step up. If we did keep him I wouldn't play him at left back, just keep him as an impact sub for the wings Verdict: Keep, squad player OR release

Ashley Vincent - (LM/LW) At the start of the season he was on fire. However before his injury he trailed off, badly. I think he could do a job, just like Taylor - coming off the bench. I think we should keep either Taylor OR Vincent, but certainly not both Verdict: Keep, squad player OR release

Louis Dodds - (RM/CM/LM/CAM/ST) Can be inconsistent but has the element of flair that we will desperately need. I think he will thrive in a higher league to be honest. For me he should start every game, and then if he goes missing that means the opposition has marked him out of the game and that's what subs are for, like Williamson. If we are going to play two wingers like JMW and Vincent then we need Dodds to keep the midfield balanced Verdict: Keep, first team

Strikers

Tom Pope - (ST) Deservedly got League 2 player of the season. Has been great for us all season and I hope will be fine in League 1. Certainly deserves the chance anyway Verdict: Keep, first team player

Lee Hughes - (ST) Great goal scorer as he has proven. I wasn't keep on his signing at first. Not for what he has done but for playing with Pope. However they have been playing well together recently. Bit old to have a massive impact but can still play a part for 60 minutes or from the bench Verdict: Keep, squad player

Ben Williamson - (ST) The super sub. I'm sure he'd like to start more but 10 goals from the bench is a good stat to have. Deserves a chance to see if he can do it in League 1 too Verdict: Keep, squad player

Calvin Andrew - (RW/LW/ST) COULD have had the potential to be a decent squad player. However Mickey plays him either alongside Pope or on the wing. For me, he is a replacement for if Pope is tired/injured. Regardless, that is based on League 2. Not enough quality to play League one I don't think Verdict: Release

Forgot to add Birchall too... We should keep him. He is another who will benefit from a MA pre season

Advert

As I have put on another thread lets get the massive game on Saturday out of the way before debating who is/isn't good enough for L1.Sometimes I get annoyed as people constantly gloat on criticising players and manager.Lets give the team 100% support and get the job done then have our say:yes: You never know maybe some players look on OVF ;)

Can we get Shuker to teach Jennison how to deliver a cross?

Haven't we got a coach? Surely anyone can see that Myrie needs to be properly coached to get full impact from using both feet? With some decent training Myrie may well just become a terrorising threat to all 1st Division defences.

Whatever division were in we need to have a serious look at our squad especially defensively. OK they are not quick but how many goals this season have we conceeded from crosses whether it be from free kicks corners and open play (Aldershots centre half last week would do nicely). Full back wise with Jones in we are a lot better than we have been the prevoious 2 years. Vincent & Myrie-Williams are the wingers we need and will improve with an Adams pre season. Taylor's had his last chance and needs to go together with Dodds and Shuker (not played enough in this division never mind league 1). Loft to stay but I have a feeling Morsy will be allowed to go (unfortunately). Andrews should go but Pope and Hughes should be a certainty especially Hughes again with a Adams pre season under him. Griff to stay. We need ball playing midfielders as weve looked a far better team when weve played it around rather than the long ball stuff.

We don't have better players than at any stage during our last spell in League 1 (barring probably the relegation season) and at no stage did we really look like getting out of the division.

I'll be satisfied with avoiding relegation next season. Anything else is a bonus (mid-table,an unlikely playoff push, cup run). We can worry about progression afterwards.

We'll be back at our realistic level, so I'm just happy we'll more than likely mixing it with the likes of Shrewsbury, Crewe, Walsall, Wolves, Notts C, Preston, Sheff U, Coventry , Tranmere and MK Dons again to name a few. Some good away days and followings at VP there...

Archived