onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope

Jacko51

I's a good job he hasn't sold us short in the goals or assists department then.
Come on mate 9 assists according to the oracle (Jacko) is hardly mind blowing from a winger is it?. After all widemen are supposed to supply the ammo for the front men.

Advert

Haven't you always defended dodds inconsistency and going missing?
Yes Andy but I feel for Dodds because he is pushed into daft positions by the boss so often. Yesterday being a prime example when Dodds was played on the right flank which has made him look poor. Doddsie is best as central player tucked in behind Tom and Hughsy.

Come on mate 9 assists according to the oracle (Jacko) is hardly mind blowing from a winger is it?. After all widemen are supposed to supply the ammo for the front men.

But only six men in the division have done any better and none of those, apart from Pope has scored more goals than JMW. You criticise his problems playing in the right as a left footer and then you criticise his performance yesterday when playing on the left. He makes goals, he scores goals and this in spite of the fact that he is double marked virtually every game. Just what do you want from the lad Owd?

Yes Andy but I feel for Dodds because he is pushed into daft positions by the boss so often. Yesterday being a prime example when Dodds was played on the right flank which has made him look poor. Doddsie is best as central player tucked in behind Tom and Hughsy.

Tom and Hughes? Or Tom or Hughes? How many times have we played dodds behind pope and Hughes? I'd agree he is better behind a lone striker. But Playing him behind two, often against five men midfield? And isn't JMW played on the opposite flank because Adams wants him I cut inside?

But only six men in the division have done any better and none of those, apart from Pope has scored more goals than JMW. You criticise his problems playing in the right as a left footer and then you criticise his performance yesterday when playing on the left. He makes goals, he scores goals and this in spite of the fact that he is double marked virtually every game. Just what do you want from the lad Owd?

I think he's one of those who has his favourite player to moan about no matter what sort of performance he puts in like a few of our fans. Yates is a prime example! People slate him and when he's decent they say nothing. If there is one person in our team who should be questioned recently then lets look at Loft? I love the guy and at his best is my favourite player but recently he's been poor an our worst player yesterday. Don't hear many people moaning about him though? Think some players are easy targets to pick fault with

Its heartening to see that there are one or two posters on here who agree with my thoughts regarding the service that Tom has received this season.

I for one can see that though JMW is a fast and skilled player his forte is more about 'cutting inside' and taking a 'pot shot' with his trusty left peg. His actual ability in providing crosses for the frontmen is pretty woeful. How can it be otherwise as his right foot is rarely used. Left footed right wingers can't work as a supply line of quality crosses. AV on the other wing doesn't work because he simply isn't a winger, he is a central striker by his own admission.

If we want to get the very best out of 'Our Tom' and 'Hughsey' (who I am sure will still score plenty in L1) MA must get in a proven quality wingman and not a cast off as we have previously been forced to bring in due to the restraints of the 'last lot'.

The great thing in Popey's favour is that forwards with his aerial ability are much in demand because no defence at any level enjoys playing against a Tom Pope.

To thrive in L1 Vale will need at least one mobile centre back a new good 'wide man' and forget playing with two wingers (unless we can find a Mc Carthy or an Ainsworth) because our present midfield set up isn't strong enough. This has been proved on many occasions this season but will be further highlighted and exploited in a higher division.

Finally Yes 'feed the Pope and he will score' he is a diamond.

One or two are'nt many though OS. You are sounding desperate in finding people to agree with you. Saying that though it is your opinion and i respect your right to express it.

Not sure what you are expecting. We have scored the most goals in the league. JMW has 11 goals and 9 assists. Try to find better stats than that from another winger in this league..

I would like to see him cross more (and if he could do better he wouldn't be in this league or the one above. It's a common complaint with all teams and their wingers, with the likes of JMW, haldane before him and the players like Lionel ainsworth etc), however the manager is asking him to do something different. If you can defend dodds due to the position he is played in, and ignore the times he drifts out of games, then surely the same applies for JMW? Played on the opposite side and instructed to cut inside. The whole league is inconsistent, which is why we stayed 2nd despite an awful run of form.

Back on topic, Tom has been absolutely fantastic for us this season. I would class his goal tally above Andy Jones's due to the number of penalties that were included in his tally of 37 during the season. I hope Tom gets a couple more in the last 2 games and i am sure he could score goals in league 1 or even the championship given the chance.

I think he's one of those who has his favourite player to moan about no matter what sort of performance he puts in like a few of our fans. Yates is a prime example! People slate him and when he's decent they say nothing. If there is one person in our team who should be questioned recently then lets look at Loft? I love the guy and at his best is my favourite player but recently he's been poor an our worst player yesterday. Don't hear many people moaning about him though? Think some players are easy targets to pick fault with
With regards to Loft believe me there were plenty criticising him of late. (I'm too busy slating Jenno). Loft's control has been dire of late and he looks very tired. Perhaps his new baby is keeping him awake?

Rex without people like me on here everyone would be agreeing and how dull would that be? Honestly mate I aren't a moaner but I like players who work hard and who track back to help the defence. Jenno falls short on both accounts in my opinion.

Back on topic, Tom has been absolutely fantastic for us this season. I would class his goal tally above Andy Jones's due to the number of penalties that were included in his tally of 37 during the season. I hope Tom gets a couple more in the last 2 games and i am sure he could score goals in league 1 or even the championship given the chance.
I agree 100% here Tom Pope can and will I hope become a legend just like Sproey. Loyalty like 'Our Tom's' is as rare as 'white ravens' in modern day football.

Tom and Hughes? Or Tom or Hughes? How many times have we played dodds behind pope and Hughes? I'd agree he is better behind a lone striker. But Playing him behind two, often against five men midfield? And isn't JMW played on the opposite flank because Adams wants him I cut inside?
I did say behind Tom & Hughes because I would play with just one wide man because two is too much of a luxury unless they work their 'socks' off. I would set us up with 3 midfield men including my mate 'Lou' and expect Jonah to over lap on the left whenever possible because he is our best crosser of the ball anyway.

I did say behind Tom & Hughes because I would play with just one wide man because two is too much of a luxury unless they work their 'socks' off. I would set us up with 3 midfield men including my mate 'Lou' and expect Jonah to over lap on the left whenever possible because he is our best crosser of the ball anyway.

But he do you know that is his best position when we have never played that formation? We would get demolished. With dodds behind two forwards and JMW as a winger I presume, that would leave one centre mid covering a massive amount of space. We have struggled to control the midfield this year, and if two wide men are a luxury, then a three man midfield with a winger and player behind the front two is even worse surely?

Archived