onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Can we catch Gillingham ?

Bea Smith

To avoid worrying about promotion or not, I decided to be hopelessly optimistic and look at Vale's chances of catching Gillingham. On the face of it, not great - 5 points to make up and just 4 games to do it in.

Gillingham are sloppy though -brilliant away but erratic at home and the key is whether they pull out all the stops at home to Torquay today (Saturday).

I just have a feeling that a desperate Torquay might get a result there and if they do, that leaves Gillingham with away games at Cheltenham and Burton (last day). If they are already promoted by the time they go to Burton (almost certain- they probably have enough points already) they may also be a bit lax in that game.

So maybe a draw at Cheltenham and if they also draw at home to AFC Wimbledon who need points too that gives them 81, maybe 82 points. Even if they win one and draw one or two we can still catch them.

It's a small chance but not impossible by any means. Vale would need to win 3 and draw one of their last four to have a decent chance of catching them, but 3 wins and a defeat or 2 wins and 2 draws might be enough.

If Gillingham draw or win tomorrow and Northampton and Rotherham drop points they are promoted, so I reckon they are bound to give less than opponents who will need the points more than they do.

Advert

I didn't take a bet. I'm not a betting man. Hope we do top the league though so that plenty of vale fans rape Peter Coates for a few quid.

If I had done though Id have bought a season ticket and a celebratory stainless steel side exit exhaust for my Defender!

Whatever happened in our dressing room during March certainly handed Gills the title, because without that spectacular slump we'd have run away as leaders. We can't change what happened but I'm just glad we've turned the corner and are finishing the season with a bang. Boring Gills will have enough more ground out results to drag them over the line but they'll know they're extremely lucky champions!

Archived