onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Marc Richards

Gazleese

Some people on here amaze me. We can abuse our own players but then they defend people like Richards. The bloke ditch us when we needed him most. He will have his reasons why he left but you can not take away that he could have stayed and had things gone **** up he would have still been able to leave. He has a value and as people have said there was a lot of clubs after him delaying the decision would have made no difference to his career.

I have a issue with him because he ditched us in our hour of need. Do I thank him for his time at Vale yes but you are often remembered for the big decisions you make and his was to leave when we were struggling.

Sorry but this is completely stupid reasoning. He didn't ditch us at all, I seem to remember that he opted NOT to move in the January transfer window (Colchester was it?) to stay with us.

Think before you post please.

I had an interesting - and opposing - discussion with some lads singing 'there is only one greedy barstward' they couldn't offer anything more than he left us. I was told to shut the f up. Great lads not a convincing argument.

Advert

A footballer's career is pretty short, averaging maybe around ten years. Richards gave five years to Vale, so getting near to 50% of his career. You can't ask much more than that.

I think he deserves respect from all Vale fans.

10 years? Rico made his debut in 2000 for Blackburn. Its now 2013 and he is 31, with years left in him.

And you can ask for much more than 50%. Say, 51%, 52%, 53%....

speak to the guy and ask he why!!! he is very honest.... he needed the security, the guys turing 31 this year, had 2 kids and a 3rd on the way at the time. He didnt trust the guy who was going buy us, oh and guess what he was right not trust him as he failed to come up with the cash to buy us!

yes he could of took a risk and stayed... but would you risk your familys future? NO I dont believe you would!

Marc turned down offers every season.... and believe me there we're other clubs offering alot more money than what Chesterfield were.

Leave the guy alone, he served us well.

anyone slagging him off is simply pathetic imo

I haven't read all this thread but you express my own views.

You can't blame anyone for deciding to go to pastures new when you can double your wages and go to a club that wasn't in admin at the time.

He was a loyal player for us for many years and scored a few vital goals. He deserves a bit of respect for what he did here, not slating, but I guess whatever floats your boat ...

Hagrid,

He gave us five good years, which represents a good slice of his career. I'm sure what I am saying about him, but am at a loss what you are trying to say. If you think he wasn't a good servant, just say so.

He was a good servant whilst we were paying his wages. As is every other employee. He is no longer an employee and if fans want to give him stick (as they do to the vast majority of other ex players) then why should they be ridiculed or classed as stupid/thick for doing so?

He was a good servant whilst we were paying his wages. As is every other employee. He is no longer an employee and if fans want to give him stick (as they do to the vast majority of other ex players) then why should they be ridiculed or classed as stupid/thick for doing so?

What would happen if fans started to boo Ainsworth? I bet if i did that at Wycombe away (I wont), I'd get a right mouthful from the very same people who abused Rico on Monday.

What would happen if fans started to boo Ainsworth? I bet if i did that at Wycombe away (I wont), I'd get a right mouthful from the very same people who abused Rico on Monday.

But Cheeky, that is entirely up to the individual fan. Surely, having an opinion (regarding anything or ANYBODY Vale) and being able to freely express it is something both you and I have so strongly fought for. I didn't boo Rico, but the rest of the folks I was with did. The fact that they felt so strongly about Rico, Griff AND Artell not sticking with The Vale, is their right. It doesn't make them thick and it doesn't make them any more or less a Vale fan. It's a bit like when I don't applaud Calvin Andrew when he is picked as one of MA's first 11, or when I don't appluad when MA he brings him on with a couple of minutes to go to enable him to earn his appearance fee.

Caroline Oakes,

Wouldn't for a minute say they were stupid or thick. Perhaps ungrateful. Handing out stick to former players can sometimes be just good banter, which is fine. Sometimes though it goes deeper and is much more personal. I just think ex players, in most cases, deserve respect.

Vale have had some wonderful servants over the years, especially in the days of Freddie Steele and John Rudge. Richards was with us at a pretty lean time for the club and I think he served us well. If others think he picked up his wages and wasn't loyal, that's there right.

Caroline Oakes,

Wouldn't for a minute say they were stupid or thick. Perhaps ungrateful. Handing out stick to former players can sometimes be just good banter, which is fine. Sometimes though it goes deeper and is much more personal. I just think ex players, in most cases, deserve respect.

Vale have had some wonderful servants over the years, especially in the days of Freddie Steele and John Rudge. Richards was with us at a pretty lean time for the club and I think he served us well. If others think he picked up his wages and wasn't loyal, that's there right.

He served us well and got paid for it accordingly. He did his job for his salary. He was loyal whilst he was with us, there is very little loyalty in football and this is where I struggle. Players very rarely show it, so why should the fans?

Caroline,

Fine, I have no issue with you on that. There is little loyalty in football today, so five years is not that bad. Just to stress that Richards stayed with the club when it was being badly run, on and off the pitch.

I know some people have an issue with John Rudge because he went to Stoke, but for me it is the contribution people make to the club while they are with us that is the only thing that counts.

He served us well and got paid for it accordingly. He did his job for his salary. He was loyal whilst he was with us, there is very little loyalty in football and this is where I struggle. Players very rarely show it, so why should the fans?

He was with us for 5 years and was our standout player throughout those **** seasons. I'd say he was pretty loyal, turned down offers whilst at vale and got an offer from chesterfield that couldn't be turned down. Nobody should have booed him.

Archived