• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Marc Richards

Gazleese

Advert:

Gareth was sold to Wimbledon (prem league) for a hefty fee. There is a slight difference, when comparing the circumstances.

He left after a year to better himself and earn more money. Rico scored 100 goals, left after 5 years, turning down moves, to secure his families future.

I'd be interested to know if those booing Rico today were also booing Griff who left for the same reasons in the summer.

I agree with the likes of Cheeky, I thought the abuse Marc Richards got today was totally unjustified. He gave us 5 years of loyal service and was our most consistent player for a long period of time. I guess football fans have short memories! I didn't hear anyone booing Griffith and he left under the same circumstances.

Besides this the fans were magnificent today. It felt really special to be there today! I was a bit too young to understand our promotion in 1994, so Im loving every moment this time around. I don't think its doing my blood pressure much good though!

He left after a year to better himself and earn more money. Rico scored 100 goals, left after 5 years, turning down moves, to secure his families future.

I'd be interested to know if those booing Rico today were also booing Griff who left for the same reasons in the summer.

I don't boo any ex players. Rico did today for Chesterfield what he did for us for 5 years, scored, dived, drew fouls etc etc. I was just making the point that to compare Richards departure (or Griffs) for that matter to Ainsworths is unrealistic. And as Hagrid said,why should Rico be be exempt from the treatment most ex-players face week in week out at football clubs in every league.

Advert:

Just out of interest, can someone explain how I managed to miss 25 of Rico's goals for Vale??

I don't boo any ex players. Rico did today for Chesterfield what he did for us for 5 years, scored, dived, drew fouls etc etc. I was just making the point that to compare Richards departure (or Griffs) for that matter to Ainsworths is unrealistic. And as Hagrid said,why should Rico be be exempt from the treatment most ex-players face week in week out at football clubs in every league.

They both left for more money, one gets dogs abuse, the other doesn't. I don't understand why, when one was a better servant to the club than the other in terms of goals scored and tenure, they get more abuse. Maybe I'm an idealist, but I'd rather appreciate and be thankful for what someone gave us, than give them grief for doing what we ourselves would do.

I boo ALL ex-players and go all the way back to Bobby Gough in doing so. It's a football tradition.

Just out of interest, can someone explain how I managed to miss 25 of Rico's goals for Vale??

Take away the 15 penalties he scored and 'Rico' only scored 60 for us in 202 games. Average, at best.

Advert:

So I have my figures wrong, apologies. 75 goals is not to be sniffed at. I just don't think he deserved the abuse he got. Clearly I'm in the minority judging from the reaction on here.

Why would you take away the penalties?

I could score a penalty when given to me. It doesn't take mass amounts of skill to pass a dead ball into a corner of the goal, praying the keeper jumps the other way.

I could score a penalty when given to me. It doesn't take mass amounts of skill to pass a dead ball into a corner of the goal, praying the keeper jumps the other way.

It doesn't take a massive amount of skill to deflect one in off your ****, but that counts in the records.

And if penalties are so easy why are England, as a national side, so ***** at them? Penalties are much harder than you make out.

Advert:

It doesn't take a massive amount of skill to deflect one in off your ****, but that counts in the records.

And if penalties are so easy why are England, as a national side, so ***** at them? Penalties are much harder than you make out.

I still don't count big Calvin's at Torquay as his goal:D

A penalty against Giulangi Buffon at the Euro's infront of 70,000 spectators plus TV audience is harder than a penalty against Stuart Tomlinson in front of 3,000, with it being a league season not a do or die penalty.

I still don't count big Calvin's at Torquay as his goal:D

A penalty against Giulangi Buffon at the Euro's infront of 70,000 spectators plus TV audience is harder than a penalty against Stuart Tomlinson in front of 3,000, with it being a league season not a do or die penalty.

It doesn't matter how they are scored, they all count, they all matter and I'd take a 1-0 penalty win, rather than a loss or draw any day of the week.

Archived