onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Di Canio named Sunderland manager

Has the Sun (covering the di Canio story extensively today) turned into a "liberal" newspaper overnight?

As Barney Ronay put it in the Guardian today: "there is an excellent point to be made about the lack of attention paid to events in the lower leagues. But the fact is this debate is happening now, and it is happening, rightly or wrongly, simply because Sunderland is a grander concern, more widely seen, more widely supported and reported. If Di Canio were to declare himself a fascist while running a suburban corner shop it would seem less of a pastoral, representative issue than if he were to do so as a director of Tesco. It is the same question of degree and scale that applies to all things."

The point I've been trying to make, pretty badly it seems, is that IMHO if the story was known and not worth exposure years ago then IMHO it's not worth exposing now.

Advert

The point I've been trying to make, pretty badly it seems, is that IMHO if the story was known and not worth exposure years ago then IMHO it's not worth exposing now.

But prestige sells newspapers. As the quote in my post says - cornershop owner in controversy doesn't interest as many people as Tesco director in controversy. So, being involved in controversy at lower league Swindon is not as important a story to the press as being involved in controversy at Premier League Sunderland. Again, as the quote says "it is happening, rightly or wrongly" because of that scale. That said some blogs, notably 200% and When Saturday Comes did cover Di Canio's political leanings when he was at Swindon.

I take that point, and agree and disagree in equal measures. But is there a difference, for example, between there being a BNP councillor and having a BNP prime minister? Is one more newsworthy than the other?

On a lighter note... a friend posted this on Facebook.

It's a non-story worthy of an issue of Viz but has been actually published in the Daily Star.

It really adds to the debate (not):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3000[/ATTACH]

I take that point, and agree and disagree in equal measures. But is there a difference, for example, between there being a BNP councillor and having a BNP prime minister? Is one more newsworthy than the other?

In the newspaper world where circulation is everything, the answer has to be - yes ;)

More newsworthy? Yes..more people interested, greater impact, more of a need to know

NEWSWORTHY

adjective

of sufficient interest to the public or a special audience to warrant press attention or coverage.

So I'd argue that having a BNP Prime Minister if of interest to many more people than a BNP councillor

I remember that the day that Port Vale went into administration, BBC Sport's main lead was about David Beckham being set to train with Arsenal or something like that. Unfortunately, like it or not, a big name like Beckham is of more interest to the general public than a lower league football club's financial plight. Thus, there is more focus on Di Canio now he is a Premier League, rather than League One manager.

Depending on your political stance you could be overjoyed or ecstatic - lol. How did we get round to the BNP, thought they were disbanded in Stoke.

More newsworthy? Yes..more people interested, greater impact, more of a need to know

NEWSWORTHY

adjective

of sufficient interest to the public or a special audience to warrant press attention or coverage.

So I'd argue that having a BNP Prime Minister if of interest to many more people than a BNP councillor

Which was the point I was making. Not sure why you had to give me a definition of a word I sued correctly though?

Because it was my post you quoted maybe?

Strange..you assume that a post on a (more or less) public forum is solely aimed at you? It was a response to your post but not solely aimed at you; I would have PMd you if it were. I'd have thought that was obvious

Its nice to see you willing to educate the masses though JA, how thoughtful.

Wrong again (getting to be a habit)...simply trying to ensure that anyone (note anyone, not specifically you) who reads ny post knows what I mean by newsworthy. You guess my motive and as often is the case, you are mistaken

Archived