onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Help needed: Your 94 promotion memories?

robf

Advert

The last eight games were amazing...

Tues 12th April - beat Rotherham 2-1 at home (Gareth Griffiths late winner)

Sat 16th April - beat Bournemouth 2-1 at home

Tues 19th April - lost 2-1 at Stockport (gutted - Kevin BLADDY Francis)

Thurs 21st April - beat York 2-1 at home (Deano with a very late winner - I'm sure he never meant it!)

Tues 26th April - beat Swansea 1-0 away

Sat 30th April - beat Exeter 3-0 at home (Kenty played out of his skin)

Tues 3rd May - Beat Cardiff 3-1 away; and finally

Sat 7th May - beat Brighton 3-1 away.

I'll always remember feeling a little bit sorry for Plymouth who needed to turn around a huge last-day goal difference by beating Hartlepool away to stand a chance of pipping us at the post.

They won 8-1 and finished with the same goal difference as us.

I also remember hearing that Everton were 2-0 down at home to Wimbledon at half-time.

If they lost and other results went against them, they could have been relegated and we would have played them the following season.

They won 3-2 and I can clearly remember watching Match of the Day and thinking there was summat dodgy about Everton's winner - a Graham Stuart side-footer which was within easy reach of Hans Segers in goal but, somehow, it eluded him.

Turns out he took a bung!

I remember queueing in the rain at Brighton. Lots of Vale fans long before the gates were open. Some Brighton resident wanted to move his car through where the Vale fans were standing but he got short shrift from the fans and finally gave up. I also remember the great tolerance shown by the Brighton fans to Vale pitch and stand invasion at the final whistle. Also walking past the main entrance after the match and seeing Bill Bell come out and applauding and congratulating him. Great memories of Aspo's goal and celebration at Hartlepool.

The last eight games were amazing...

Tues 12th April - beat Rotherham 2-1 at home (Gareth Griffiths late winner)

Sat 16th April - beat Bournemouth 2-1 at home

Tues 19th April - lost 2-1 at Stockport (gutted - Kevin BLADDY Francis)

Thurs 21st April - beat York 2-1 at home (Deano with a very late winner - I'm sure he never meant it!)

Tues 26th April - beat Swansea 1-0 away

Sat 30th April - beat Exeter 3-0 at home (Kenty played out of his skin)

Tues 3rd May - Beat Cardiff 3-1 away; and finally

Sat 7th May - beat Brighton 3-1 away.

I'll always remember feeling a little bit sorry for Plymouth who needed to turn around a huge last-day goal difference by beating Hartlepool away to stand a chance of pipping us at the post.

They won 8-1 and finished with the same goal difference as us.

I also remember hearing that Everton were 2-0 down at home to Wimbledon at half-time.

If they lost and other results went against them, they could have been relegated and we would have played them the following season.

They won 3-2 and I can clearly remember watching Match of the Day and thinking there was summat dodgy about Everton's winner - a Graham Stuart side-footer which was within easy reach of Hans Segers in goal but, somehow, it eluded him.

Turns out he took a bung!

I was drafting a big long post in Microsoft Word that I was then going to paste on here but you've stole some of my points.

The defeat at Stockport on the Tuesday followed by the massive win against York at home on the Thursday was a big moment of the season. David Lowe took his goal very well when he was clean through, while Glover's goal was a bit of a fluke. I'm sure he didn't mean it.

We were never out of the promotion race but we spent very little time during the season in the automatic promotions spots themselves. The FA Cup run and some awful weather meant that we always had games in hand on most teams but making sure we won them was always going to be a different matter.

One of the big moments I remember was during the Exeter match, our last home game of the season. It was 0-0 after a tight first half but not long into the second half news came through on the old scoreboard that Stockport were losing to Bristol Rovers (they went on to draw). A couple of minutes later Foyle scored with a brilliant far post header from a set piece and the place erupted. It was then that we knew it was in our own hands and all we had to do was win our own matches.

I also remember queueing in the rain at Brighton, with my mum and dad, trying to make sure we got seats behind the goal where there was a roof. We were queueing next to a bloke who had his leg in plaster. The Brighton fans were class that day, I went on the pitch and some of them came up to shake my hand and offer us congratulations. I remember a load of Vale fans invading the pitch and moving towards the home end but in the end it was just to give them a standing ovation.

Tempted to put some stuff from 93/94 on YouTube now.

Some great memories was my first season actually going to Vale. Barnet was my first match but I remember little apart from the result and being hooked on all things Vale afterwards! My first vivid memory is Plymouth at home, relatively early on we won 2-1 which as it turned was a pretty crucial 3 points. They had a black lad up front Dwight Marshall? Scored after 3 minutes and ran us ragged first half, but we hit back to win 2-1. However my main memory of that day was getting my bag stuck in the turnstile, I was 6 at the time and used to carry this Postman Pat satchel thing with me, I went through the turnstile and it must have got stuck behind me as it locked before the next person went through! So I got yanked back! The old man still mentions it to this day!

Yes we did. Kerr scored a belter and then Nicky Cross nicked a couple from Jeffers crosses, the last one being a back heel.

He was never particularly prolific but Nicky Cross had a right purple patch for a few games during that Autumn, including an absolute screamer away at Brentford.

Didn't we also snatch a very late winner to beat Hull 2-1 at Vale Park and go/stay top of the league in front of almost 10000?

I also recall being gutted that we'd dropped 2 points early in the season in a 2-2 at home to Cambridge, but both of Vale's goals were stunning team goals with fantastic one-touch passing and finishing.

I also remember an away game at Rotherham with Vale going 2 up inside about 5 minutes and then a small group of Vale fans arrived just after. When they found out the score a couple of them started having a go at one of their party for making them late, saying "I'm not coming with you again" - they didn't get to see any goals as Vale ended up winning 2-0!

Went to Brighton and bought a Seth Bottomly! Amazed at what a dump the ground was. Walking down the alley at the side of the ground there was hell of a queue.Great game and great result. I invaded the pitch at the end ...well had a stroll about to take it all in. The Brighton fans were very sporting and clapped as well. It was probably the biggest away following they had ever had from a club so far away

I can remember The Southampton home game as I saw a Saints fan walk in the Red Lion then come out a bit later with blood on his nose!

It was all a bit weird that year what were Vale doing at the top of League 3? I always felt it would end in the same way as it did in 72? when we drew a vital game against Bolton which cost us promotion.

We had a ****** good side then and could hold our own against anyone if we played anything like can't remember much about individual games but supporting Vale in that period was like supporting a "proper" team.

He was never particularly prolific but Nicky Cross had a right purple patch for a few games during that Autumn, including an absolute screamer away at Brentford.

Didn't we also snatch a very late winner to beat Hull 2-1 at Vale Park and go/stay top of the league in front of almost 10000?

I also recall being gutted that we'd dropped 2 points early in the season in a 2-2 at home to Cambridge, but both of Vale's goals were stunning team goals with fantastic one-touch passing and finishing.

I recall standing by the dressing room window and listening to the players having a massive row after that Cambridge game!

Was that the Tuesday night game when Glover scored an overhead kick OG?

No, I think that Claridge scored both Cambridge goals (certainly one of them anyway).

I think the Glover own goal was when we were in the Championship (as now is) - versus Ipswich at home? I'm pretty sure he also scored an overhead 'backpass' OG at Barnsley away late on to give them a draw.

i went all home and 95% of away games that season. i vaguely remember slaven hitting a left foot volley without letting it bounce straight into the back of the net against wigan at their old tinpot ground when we beat them 4-0 away, pity i cant find any footage of that goal, it was one of the goals of the decade from what i can remember, still got all the programmes from that season in a box and havent seen the light of day since that year. theyre immaculate :) good memories. was even on the pitch at brighton during the promotion game :)

Archived