onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wilko's Last stand.

fairportnick

Advert

Good piece that - nicely written and full of emotion.

He'll be missed.

I can't quite remember the very first time I saw Dr Feelgood, but one of the earliest times was at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm where they blew the place apart, despite being unknown and about 5th on the bill of the Sunday night concerts they had there in the early 70s..

I was hooked and went back again and again, at places all over London and in Essex. Snotty grotholes in places like Pitsea, on to the Dagenham Roundhouse pub (not the same as Chalk Farm) and two dozen other smoke-filled sawdust dodgy venues.

Watching them grow bigger and bigger and never failing to be excited and amazed at Wilko's duckwalk thing and the way he turned a fairly ordinary bluesy standard like 'Im a Hog for you baby' into a piece of stage magic as exciting as you'd find anywhere that decade and certainly since.

They looked the part, just the right amount of attitude, shortish hair and one review by Mick farren said they looked as if they had been dragged out of prison or from an army barracks - klong before short hair and punk became fashionable, the Feelgoods were the answer to the pompous, overblown dross that Rick Wakeman and Genesis and all the other self-important poncynoncys were flooding the market with.

It's rather sad that they split at the height of their fame, for a few short weeks they were arguably the biggest group in the UK in the mid-70's, but such is the stuff of legends.

Lee has gone, now we are to lose Wilko, but they will never be forgotten and I for one will always have great memeories of the 20 or 30 times I saw them electrify and astonish their audiences.

I saw Wilko last year and bought a copy of a DVD called Oil City Confidential. It is supposed to be about Canvey Island but there is a lot of footage of Wilko and Lee Brilleaux, not really a music video but fascinating for any Wilko or Feelgood fans. Avaiable from cadizmusic.com for a tenner.

From the official FB feed: Important Announcement: Due to health reasons, tonight and tomorrow night's Canvey Island concerts have been cancelled. An official announcement from management will follow shortly. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience for those fans that have already made their way down to tonight's concert.

Hang in there, Wilko....

From another blog

he probably got a chill from the madness gig on friday night, he looked well enough when he was on stage with them, let's hope that's all it is

Archived