onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

1988-89 season.

Spunk Trumpet

I think the main difference was we were elated to be In the play offs that year with the expectations of division one football abd with the injuries we endured to then key players seemed to drop the expectations

I feel most will be deflated at the thought of the play offs this year in a poor standard league in which we have been in the top two for most of the season

Without wanting to divert the topic of the thread i have to disagree.

I would have been elated to make the playoffs at the start of the season. Its just that we have had a ridiculously great season up until 5 weeks ago when results have gone poor.

I doubt you would find one single fan who wouldnt have taken our position now back in August.

Advert

I agree at the start of the season I would have take this position but after being in such a good position for all that time it seems criminal to be sucked back into the pack

A match is played over 90 minutes.

A season is played over 46 games.

I didnt get carried away before.

I wont get suicidal now.

We can do it.

And it will be a superb achievement if we do.

Our play off triumph against Bristol Rovers was one of my earliest memories.

Looking back at the stats of that season i was very intrigued to note a run from March 27 up to and including May 1st.

2 wins in 9.

9 points from a possible 27.

Certainly cost us automatic promotion, yet we rallied to win the playoffs.

I was just wondering if any of the older members on this site can remember the mood back then during this period?

It seems this isnt the first time in my lifetime that we have tried to chuck it away.

I remember feeling frustrated and a little angry that we had to play a team that finished 10pts behind us for a place in the second division. The mood at Vale Park when we played Bristol Rovers in the play-offs was also tinged with much of the same until the third goal went in and the final whistle went and Vale Park went ballistic.

If my memory serves me right it was only just prior to the 1988/89 season that the third placed team went into a play-off, previous to that all the top three teams went up automatically although before that it was just the top two.

A match is played over 90 minutes.

A season is played over 46 games.

I didnt get carried away before.

I wont get suicidal now.

We can do it.

And it will be a superb achievement if we do.

One of the reasons for the frustration right now is what the fans and club went through it the last 1-2 years and no one, or certainly I didn't, thought in their wildest dreams at the start of the season that we would be in an automatic promo position with 8 games to go. If we don't make it, it will hurt big time but Vale will bounce back. As long as the players, manager and fans give it their best shot we can't ask for more.

Before the Mansfield game we had not been beaten in 10 and won 5 out of our previous 8!

How on earth was that defeat quite a setback?

Im not having a pop by the way. Just dont understand the logic.

For some reason, the one thing that sticks in my mind about that day, was being glued to Cefax all afternoon and being elated that Sheff U had lost at home to Notts County, only to then feel like a kick in the balls after our defeat!!!! One of the other memories was seing Futcher get away with that Headbutt in the first leg of the Play off final, at Bristol!!!!

Slightly off topic, but I also remeber back then, that defeats seems to absolutely rip the life out of me. I recall gong in School after losing to Gillingham in the Freight Rover trophy game at Home, after Walker missed the Penalty. Talk about being devastated, I was nearly in tears for a week!!!! Whereas anybody who knows me on Facebook now, knows other than kicking the cats and a quick rant, defeats don't seem quite as painful. Guess you get more used to disapointment or pre-occupied with work.

Before the Mansfield game we had not been beaten in 10 and won 5 out of our previous 8!

How on earth was that defeat quite a setback?

Im not having a pop by the way. Just dont understand the logic.

Any defeat is a setback. That Mansfield Town game was a game that clearly set in the rot, thus letting Sheff Utd back into the frame.

If your after real logic, then look at the Northampton game- that was the game that gave Sheff Utd leverage for second spot. I can see your looking at every single statistic but the original post asks how as a supporter, we were feeling and how we felt at the time- before the Mansfield game we knew we had a real crack at 2nd place.

If you also recall the Bristol Rovers HOME LEAGUE WIN was neither here nor there, it just kept us in 3rd.

I can undestand people coming on here and nitpicking at every single post. Ok, do it if it makes you feel better, maybe also write Adams a letter asking him why he's so against his own supporters when he was a supporter himself...

Our play off triumph against Bristol Rovers was one of my earliest memories.

Looking back at the stats of that season i was very intrigued to note a run from March 27 up to and including May 1st.

2 wins in 9.

9 points from a possible 27.

Certainly cost us automatic promotion, yet we rallied to win the playoffs.

I was just wondering if any of the older members on this site can remember the mood back then during this period?

It seems this isnt the first time in my lifetime that we have tried to chuck it away.

The mood back then was very different. We had a good side playing decent football with a Manager that was respected. There was disappointment and a degree of 'nervousness' amongst fans but no venom.

There were certainly no negative comments or excuses from Mssr's Rudge and Bell regarding supporters - The paying customers.

Must admit, I don't remember it being that bad a run. perhaps expectations were different. Wolves were well ahead and we all knew we'd have trouble finishing above Sheff U. I remember losing at home to Northampton and thinking we'd lost second place then. As it turned out I had one of my best days as a Vale fan when we played Bristol R.

This season there are no 'Wolves' or 'Blades' in this division.. just carp teams... which makes it all the more galling.

I honestly can't see us getting our act together to reach/win a play-off final like that this season (Assuming we do actually keep above 8th place).

I remember feeling frustrated and a little angry that we had to play a team that finished 10pts behind us for a place in the second division. The mood at Vale Park when we played Bristol Rovers in the play-offs was also tinged with much of the same until the third goal went in and the final whistle went and Vale Park went ballistic.

If my memory serves me right it was only just prior to the 1988/89 season that the third placed team went into a play-off, previous to that all the top three teams went up automatically although before that it was just the top two.

Third goal? It was 1-0.

I saw all 4 playoff games but cant remember any of those leading up to it. Getting old.

I do remember the sign by the M6 wishing us good luck , turned out it was put there by Wolves fans. Only found out many years later so had no chance to say thank you.

Any defeat is a setback. That Mansfield Town game was a game that clearly set in the rot, thus letting Sheff Utd back into the frame.

If your after real logic, then look at the Northampton game- that was the game that gave Sheff Utd leverage for second spot. I can see your looking at every single statistic but the original post asks how as a supporter, we were feeling and how we felt at the time- before the Mansfield game we knew we had a real crack at 2nd place.

If you also recall the Bristol Rovers HOME LEAGUE WIN was neither here nor there, it just kept us in 3rd.

I can undestand people coming on here and nitpicking at every single post. Ok, do it if it makes you feel better, maybe also write Adams a letter asking him why he's so against his own supporters when he was a supporter himself...

Deary me. What poor form.

I started a thread about a season 25 yrs back.

I also explained in my previous post i wasnt havent a pop!

Nitpicking? No. Just asking a question. A fair question.

Why that kind of reply?

I remember the play offs very well. The first matches were against Preston 1-1 away on their plastic pitch. Then 3-1 win at home.

Bristol in the play off final another draw away and a 1-0 winner at the Vale thanks to Robbie Earl. Robbie was the bane of Rovers lives that season.

The most poigniant point for me was seeing a guy in front of me crying with joy and shaking my hand saying ''Ive waited all my life to see vale in the 2nd Division''. Three months later I asked where he was and it was my turn to shed a tear as I was told that he had died. I think of that man regularly.

Third goal? It was 1-0.

I saw all 4 playoff games but cant remember any of those leading up to it. Getting old.

I do remember the sign by the M6 wishing us good luck , turned out it was put there by Wolves fans. Only found out many years later so had no chance to say thank you.

Yep you'e right, it was 1-0 at home vs Bristol Rovers, I got it mixed up with the first play off game which we won 3-1 at home vs Preston.....just another senior moment.....I hate getting old.

I remember the final part of the season for the poor form that the Vale were showing. Notable exceptions were good wins at Notts County and Fulham. However for the play offs Vale played really well and form returned. I remember just before this Rudgie made a point of taking the players on a team out day playing golf and such like, just for a change of scenery and not to overtrain the players.

The main point from this is that promotion is gained over 46 matches, not 38 or 30. So it is all there to play for. Do we think that Burton, Cheltenham and Northampton are looking forward to visiting VP ? At the moment a little perspective and a bit of calm is needed.

Must admit, I don't remember it being that bad a run. perhaps expectations were different. Wolves were well ahead and we all knew we'd have trouble finishing above Sheff U. I remember losing at home to Northampton and thinking we'd lost second place then. As it turned out I had one of my best days as a Vale fan when we played Bristol R.

This season there are no 'Wolves' or 'Blades' in this division.. just carp teams... which makes it all the more galling.

I honestly can't see us getting our act together to reach/win a play-off final like that this season (Assuming we do actually keep above 8th place).

kind of what i was trying to say earlier in the thread

Archived