onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

1988-89 season.

Spunk Trumpet

Our play off triumph against Bristol Rovers was one of my earliest memories.

Looking back at the stats of that season i was very intrigued to note a run from March 27 up to and including May 1st.

2 wins in 9.

9 points from a possible 27.

Certainly cost us automatic promotion, yet we rallied to win the playoffs.

I was just wondering if any of the older members on this site can remember the mood back then during this period?

It seems this isnt the first time in my lifetime that we have tried to chuck it away.

Advert

Looking back at the stats of that season i was very intrigued to note a run from March 27 up to and including May 1st.

2 wins in 9.

I was just wondering if any of the older members on this site can remember the mood back then during this period?

It seems this isnt the first time in my lifetime that we have tried to chuck it away.

I remember the manager from that season. On that point alone, there is no comparison.

Other than that, it's a good comparison, I recall going to a few of those games including a particularly miserable 2-1 home defeat by Mansfield.

One of the few posts that's made me feel better - cheers.

I remember the manager from that season. On that point alone, there is no comparison.

Other than that, it's a good comparison, I recall going to a few of those games including a particularly miserable 2-1 home defeat by Mansfield.

One of the few posts that's made me feel better - cheers.

The Mansfield game was at the start of that run. Its the earliest game i can remember. It was on my 9th birthday and i got lost in the paddock trying to find my dad after going the toilet!

I also remember the Bristol game. What a day. I wish i was 10 years older to have enjoyed that day in all its glory!

2 wins in 9.

I don't think we ever thought it was in our hands because I seem to remember Sheffield being close behind us and having games in hand for ages.

2 wins in 9.

I remember it well and I have to say Rudgie was class, he made everyone feel as though we were in it together....lessons to be learned there

But with Wolves and Sheff U leading the pack, 3rd place was a reasonable target. Nerves is a big factor. As long as the effort went in and players tried their best we had no complaints. Memories of playing in the 4th were fresh, and it was 32 years since we had been in the 2nd tier.

The Mansfield game was at the start of that run. Its the earliest game i can remember. It was on my 9th birthday and i got lost in the paddock trying to find my dad after going the toilet!

I also remember the Bristol game. What a day. I wish i was 10 years older to have enjoyed that day in all its glory!

I was and am 10 years older! I didn't go to the Bristol game (thankfully) but I went to Doncaster away - I think it was a 3-2 defeat.

I remember Sheff Utd were far from consistent and at times you would have thought there was ever going to be one team in Second place and that was Vale.

Losing to Mansfield Town at home 2-1 on the April bank holiday was probably the calamity game that really sealed the only way up would be the playoffs. I remember the way Vale played back then, everybody played for eachother and every player played his part to detail.

Total opposite of this current shower- there is no togetherness, selfish players crying outside of the club and players who have no desire to play for Port Vale football club- the players in that 1988-89 season WANTED to play and they RESPECTED the fans. We had a manager (Rudgie) who praised the fans as he recognised the fans as the twelve man- the manager now (ADAMS) shows interveiw after interveiw how he couldnt care less about what the fans think.

Sorry Micky- thats the wrong attitude. Take a leaf out of Rudgie's book- you will never be a better manager than him.

Losing to Mansfield Town at home 2-1 on the April bank holiday was probably the calamity game that really sealed the only way up would be the playoffs. .

According to the stats that makes no sense.

That was our first defeat in 11 games and the start of the run that saw us win 2 in 9!

Granted we won our last 3 but we still got 84 points!

Unless you are confusing it with a home game against Northampton with 4 games to go?

Losing Phil Sproson and Bob Hazell was a massive blow and then wasn't Alan Webb injured as well meaning we had no centre halves at one point? With Atkinson injured all season and then Mavis Riley was injured so we had to adapt to playing a different way. Rudgie signed Gary West, Dean Glover and Johnny Jeffers and brought Andy Porter in so Simon Mills could get forward. I was there v bristol rovers but was only 10. That was the day I truly became obsessed with Vale.

The Northampton game was a 2-1 defeat as well, but as I remember the Manfield Town defeat was quite a setback, winning that may have made a real difference to staying in the top 2

Before the Mansfield game we had not been beaten in 10 and won 5 out of our previous 8!

How on earth was that defeat quite a setback?

Im not having a pop by the way. Just dont understand the logic.

I think the main difference was we were elated to be In the play offs that year with the expectations of division one football abd with the injuries we endured to then key players seemed to drop the expectations

I feel most will be deflated at the thought of the play offs this year in a poor standard league in which we have been in the top two for most of the season

Archived