What are you listening to right now?

blinkme

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my favourite bands of recent years has been Silver Jews. They were basically just the one guy, David Berman, who sometimes got helped out by folk from Pavement. He disbanded Silver Jews a decade ago as he wanted to focus on battling his father, a notorious Republican named Richard Berman (who had the charming nickname of Dr. Evil!). Anyway, DB is back now with his new project, Purple Mountains, and 2 songs from the forthcoming album and they seem to be career highs. Poor old David is in a bit of a sorry state at the moment - he's previously attempted suicide by using crack-cocaine, booze and Xanax but meeting his partner Cassie seemed to turn things round for him. Unfortunately, they've now split up and, judging from interviews, he's a broken man. The lyrics to the songs certainly seem to bear this out although the music is really lovely summery stuff. I think he's one of the best lyricist working today.

Darkness and Cold -

All My Happiness is Gone (starts about 2:05) -

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2019 at 15:38, portvaleofbelvoir said:

Just chanced on this thread and although I thought I’d get into classical music as I got older it never really happened. However that opera bit that Paul6754 posted is really moving!

thanks for putting it on.

Every Puccini Opera (There 9 or 10 of them) contains wonderful Arias and Melodies. Oh, Mio Babbino Caro (My Beloved Father) is one of the famous and most beautiful. Nessun Dorma probably the most famous.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2019 at 13:01, mr.hobblesworth said:

One of my favourite bands of recent years has been Silver Jews. They were basically just the one guy, David Berman, who sometimes got helped out by folk from Pavement. He disbanded Silver Jews a decade ago as he wanted to focus on battling his father, a notorious Republican named Richard Berman (who had the charming nickname of Dr. Evil!). Anyway, DB is back now with his new project, Purple Mountains, and 2 songs from the forthcoming album and they seem to be career highs. Poor old David is in a bit of a sorry state at the moment - he's previously attempted suicide by using crack-cocaine, booze and Xanax but meeting his partner Cassie seemed to turn things round for him. Unfortunately, they've now split up and, judging from interviews, he's a broken man. The lyrics to the songs certainly seem to bear this out although the music is really lovely summery stuff. I think he's one of the best lyricist working today.

Absolutely devastated to read that David Berman passed away yesterday, apparently by his own hand. He'd been one of my favourite artists for so long but he was obviously such a troubled man. Don't think I'll ever be able to listen to the recent Purple Mountains LP. Feel so so sad about this.

His poetry was brilliant too.

spacer.png

RIP David.

• Like 1

Never really thought too much about lyrics to songs as I’ve always thought that the tune was more important.

However, today I revisited one of my favourite tunes from years gone by and for the first time actually listened to the words.

“At Seventeen”  by Janis Ian has now gone from a 9/10 to a 18/10 ! I realise that you have to be of a certain age to know the tune at all, but I “You Tubed” it with the lyrics on screen as you listen to the melody and I found it mind blowing! 

I have no ability in any of the arts whatsoever, so I find it incredible that someone can start with a blank piece of paper and come up with something as moving as that.

Edited by RailwayRowdy

On 08/08/2019 at 15:13, RailwayRowdy said:

Never really thought too much about lyrics to songs as I’ve always thought that the tune was more important.

However, today I revisited one of my favourite tunes from years gone by and for the first time actually listened to the words.

“At Seventeen”  by Janis Ian has now gone from a 9/10 to a 18/10 ! I realise that you have to be of a certain age to know the tune at all, but I “You Tubed” it with the lyrics on screen as you listen to the melody and I found it mind blowing! 

I have no ability in any of the arts whatsoever, so I find it incredible that someone can start with a blank piece of paper and come up with something as moving as that.

I agree RR and in Opera and other music it's also the story line.

In most opera the story lines are usually to do with boy meets girl, boy or girl pops off for some reason involving a big aria/tune.

What makes Wagner's Ring Cycle incredible is the story line, music and words. It's a story of greed, love, popping off, murder, betrayal, incest etc. The first Opera, Rhinegold, starts with sunrise/Dawn and the last, Gotterdamerung, concludes with end of the world with the Rhine overflowing and the new beginning, the music is sensational, the ending to this performance very thought provoking. If you're inclined, watch The Immolation scene from 22 mins on.