onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are you listening to right now?

blinkme

Advert

On 08/08/2019 at 06:19, mr.hobblesworth said:

Absolutely devastated to read that David Berman passed away yesterday, apparently by his own hand. He'd been one of my favourite artists for so long but he was obviously such a troubled man. Don't think I'll ever be able to listen to the recent Purple Mountains LP. Feel so so sad about this.

His poetry was brilliant too.

spacer.png

RIP David.

Terribly tragic news. A very talented artist gone. I saw Silver Jews in Houston about 9 years ago .  The small dingy club was packed , and it was a memorable night. He was an extraordinary poet. RIP 

On 07/10/2019 at 20:35, Houston Valiant said:

Terribly tragic news. A very talented artist gone. I saw Silver Jews in Houston about 9 years ago .  The small dingy club was packed , and it was a memorable night. He was an extraordinary poet. RIP 

Have you heard the Purple Mountains album? I think it's the best thing Berman ever made although haven't been able to bring myself to play it since his suicide. Seems so obvious now...

Well, I don't like talkin' to myself
But someone's gotta say it, hell
I mean, things have not been going well
This time I think I finally <ovf censored> myself.

You see, the life I live is sickening
I spent a decade playing chicken with oblivion
Day to day, I'm neck and neck with giving in
I'm the same old wreck I've always been.

And when I see her in the park
It barely merits a remark
How we stand the standard distance
Distant strangers stand apart.

Course I've been humbled by the void
Much of my faith has been destroyed
I've been forced to watch my foes enjoy
Ceaseless feasts of schadenfreude.

And as the pace of life keeps quickening
Beneath the bitching and the bickering
When I try to drown my thoughts in gin
I find my worst ideas know how to swim.

Well, a setback can be a setup
For a comeback if you don't let up
But this kind of hurtin' won't heal
And the end of all wanting
Is all I've been wanting
And that's just the way that I feel.

I met failure in Australia
I fell ill in Illinois
I nearly lost my genitalia
To an anthill in Des Moines
I was so far gone in Fargo
South Dakota got annoyed
That's the <ovf censored> I'm talkin' 'bout
When I talk to you about
Ceaseless feasts of schadenfreude.

And a setback can be a setup
For a comeback if you don't let up
But this kind of hurtin' won't heal
And the end of all wanting
Is all I've been wanting
The end of all wanting
Is all I've been wanting
The end of all wanting
Is all I've been wanting
And that's just the way that I feel

On 07/10/2019 at 20:07, robf said:

I stayed up on Friday to listen to a YouTube premiere of Nick Cave's album Ghosteen.

Written in the aftermath of his teenage son's death (the clue is in the album title) it has songs from multiple viewpoints - with his son talking to him and vice versa. It takes on themes of dealing with death, religion, is there an afterlife, coping, redemption and perhaps most importantly, remembering but moving on.

I have to say there were bits that had me, well, in bits. 

It won't be to everyone's tastes but if you like Nick Cave's recent offerings then this is a stunning, albeit tough listen. 

I'm only become a convert to Nick Cave in the last couple of years which is good in a way because there's so much work to delve into and gems to discover. As you say, Ghosteen isn't an easy listen but is a moving, beautiful record.

Went to an evening with Nick Cave in Manchester in the summer. The Q and A was ok but too many people wanted to tell their story rather than listen to his opinion but the music was stunning. Just him on the piano was fantastic. 

He's just getting better and better, IMO. I'd got a bit bored of him after the Boatman's Call but Skeleton tree and PTSA are just incredible pieces of work. Can't wait to hear the new one although I generally listen to stuff on physical formats so still have a bit of a wait. Wish I'd gone to the Q&A| that Smuggsy attended although the Brighton one sounded better, if only because an audience member asked "Nick, I live in your old flat, do you know where the stopcock is?"

This live performance is incredible, especially considering the guy is in his sixties.

Also, should add, Warren Ellis is one of my favourite people in the world. One of those artists where you'd happily pay the full admission price just for his in-between song ramblings.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/04/2017 at 19:29, Davo666 said:

Disturbed !!

Sent from my LG-V400 using Tapatalk

Davo666 had never heard of Disturbed but was listening to the radio this week and they played Sound of Silence by them  , the old Simon and Garfunkel song . A very dark version. A neighbour just lent me a King Crimson live cd, trying to get my head around it.

Archived