onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are you listening to right now?

blinkme

What happened to the other one?

anyway, what are you listening to?

youtube videos may be a good idea if you wish to share your awesome taste (or lack of it)

I'll get us started

ONSIND - I could carve a better man out of a banana

great acoustic duo from durham, if you get the chance to see them make sure you do it. so good

[video=youtube;-vaVZblybIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaVZblybIo

Advert

'Twas me M'lud :blush: I accidently deleted the 'thread when I was thinning down the post count :doh:

It was in it's 9th year as a topic thread. So with head bowed, and on bended knee, I've apologised to our good friend Tosh.

With your permission I'd like to edit your title to read 'What are you listening to right now?'

Barry :)

• 1 year later...
Aup Tosh, remember February 2004 & George Benson - the day you started this topic thread? :D

I remember it well Baz, I'd had a few shandies that night:D I'm pleased to see it up and running again, I like to hear people's taste in music.:cool:

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted by Aussie Rules...

Aup Tosh, remember February 2004 & George Benson - the day you started this topic thread?

I remember it well Baz, I'd had a few shandies that night:D I'm pleased to see it up and running again, I like to hear people's taste in music.:cool:

And now my very good friend your topic thread What are you listening to right now? is 11 years old and still going strong :D

• 1 year later...

Ah..that sort of duo :wink:

Actually I remember years ago a band called Sky (serious musicians) doing a single based on it..it is awesome as were Sky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_(band)

n 1980, Sky recorded and released their second album, Sky 2 - a double album that built upon its predecessor's success (becoming the tenth highest selling album in Britain that year). The album included Monkman's side-long rock suite "FIFO" (a piece inspired by computer processing, stands for "First In, First Out") and four classical pieces including three established chamber music pieces (played entirely straight) and the band's souped-up electric treatment of Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor". The latter was released as a single (under the name "Toccata") and reached number 5 in the national pop charts, giving the band the opportunity of performing on Top Of The Pops.

The German 80's synth-pop trio ALPHAVILLE - their album Forever young is superb, especially the hit single 'Big In Japan' and 'Summer in Berlin'.

'Big In Japan' were actually a group themselves in Liverpool around 1978/79, who all went on to have fairly successful careers with other bands, most notably Holly Johnson of FGTH.

Alphaville liked this fairly unknown Liverpool band, and decided to write a song named after them, and it became a massive hit in 1984 in a dozen or more countries (No 1 in some countries including Germany, Sweden and Switzerland, and No 8 in UK) at exactly the same time as FGTH were at No 1 in the UK with Relax.

Big In Japan has extremely dark but touchingly subtle lyrics, which have been the subject of much argument, eventually the lead singer Marian Gold revealed that they told the story of a friend of his who fell in love with a girl who got involved with drugs (heroin) at Zoo Station in (West) Berlin, a notorious

hard drugs meeting place.

The girl had to become a prostitute to support ther habit, and forced her boyfriend to do the same - he becomes a heroin addict then has to support it by prostitution) then she dumped him, and he reflects on the experience. Not for the fainthearted, but a truly incredible single.

The cold winter in verse one is the emotional coldness of hard drug usage, the crystal bits of snowflake are the drugs, and 'you did what you did to me' refers to the girl trapping then dumping her boyfriend.'I will wait here for my man tonight' is a clever but disturbing pun on male prostitution/ obtaining heroin and pays its dues to the Velevt Underground (Lou Reed)'s 'Waiting for the Man' - 'the man' being slang for a drug dealer.

'Shall I stay here at the Zoo' refers to Zoological Garten rail station. Some have suggested that the 'Big In Japan' refers to a sexual racist slur on Japanese men, as well as a nod to the Liverpool group from the late 70s. The singer finds it 'easy when you are Big In Japan'.

The rest is up for debate, though the video on YouTube is exceptional and well worth seeing too.

Lyrics to BIG IN JAPAN by Alphaville

Winter's cityside

Crystal bits of snowflakes

All around my head and in the wind

I had no illusions

That I'd ever find a glimpse

Of summer's heatwaves in your eyes

You did what you did to me

Now it's history, I see

Here's my comeback on the road again

Things will happen while they can

I will wait here for my man tonight

It's easy when you're big in Japan

Aah when you're big in Japan-tonight

Big in Japan-be-tight

Big in Japan ooh the eastern sea's so blue

Big in Japan-alright

Pay! - Then I'll sleep by your side

Things are easy when you're big in Japan

Oh when you're big in Japan

Neon on my naked skin, passing silhouettes

Of strange illuminated mannequins

Shall I stay here at the zoo

Or should I go and change my point of view

For other ugly scenes

You did what you did to me

Now it's history I see

Here's my comeback on the road again

Things will happen while they can

I will wait here for my man tonight

It's easy when you're big in Japan

Aah when you're big in Japan-tonight

Big in Japan-be-tight

Big in Japan ooh the eastern sea's so blue

Big in Japan-alright, pay!

Then I'll sleep by your side

Things are easy when you're big in Japan

Songwriters: MARIAN GOLD, FRANK MERTENS, BERNHARD LLOYD

If all that is a bit heavy, 'Summer in Berlin' and the rest of the album are much more uplifting and optimistic.

• 2 months later...

Archived