onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Important Travel News - Rochdale Away.

bobbymanc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-21612322

The metrolink line from Manchester City centre to Rochdale has now opened. If you are travelling alone then it'll cost you more than the train from Victoria, however you can buy a group daysaver from the metrolink machines for £10.50 which will allow travel for upto 4 adults all day on the network.

If you have the sprogs in tow then a family ticket (upto 2 adults and upto 3 kids) costs £7.50 for the whole day. It'll take a bit longer to get to Rochdale on the tram than the train, but for the lazy gits out there you won't need to walk across town to Victoria, and the service is more regular than national rail.

With Virgin only sameday returns from Stoke station retailing at just over £10 for adults then it could prove a cheapish away day all round.

I thought Rochdale may have been "the day" but after the last few performances I'm not so sure. Bums are a squeaking...

Advert

I think it's about 30/ 35 mins, so if you have a few drinks in Manchester before hand then it'd be easy enough to get the train from Victoria instead. I live 2 mins away from Firswood on that line near Chorlton so I'd have to pay for the tram into town anyway. It's something like 23 stops from my neck of the woods to Rochdale though so a "pitstop" in the City Centre may be called for.

You can still get a £5 weekend ticket can't you?

Handy for me as I can get on at Chorlton.

I think it might be £5.50 now. Might as well get a £10.50 group day ticket, then get some tag along weapons to throw in a couple of quid for the remainder of the journey from Manchester. That's if we don't coerce people into coming down to Chorlton for some pre-match bevies early doors. God I want us to draw Altrincham in the cup so bad! A tram beer crawl from Town/Chorlton to Alty would be class.

slightly off topic, the metro link in manchester is brilliant as is a day in manchester, me and her indoors go quite alot on train to piccadilly a good day shopping for her bit of snappin down deansgate then back around the printworks for a bevvy or two for me

we are really behind when it comes to public transport

Fair point but Manc is the third city in England size wise, you'd expect it to have good transport links with outlying towns and villages.

No disrespect to my home town but I'm not sure as many people want to go shopping/for a day out in Hanley!

slightly off topic, the metro link in manchester is brilliant as is a day in manchester, me and her indoors go quite alot on train to piccadilly a good day shopping for her bit of snappin down deansgate then back around the printworks for a bevvy or two for me

we are really behind when it comes to public transport

Completely agree. One regular long tram route along the lines of; Blythe Bridge - Meir - Normacot - Longton - Fenton - ****annia Stadium - Stoke - Hanley - Burslem - Tunstall (with a few other stops inbetween) would be an absolute godsend. A branch to Keele Uni via Newcastle from Stoke would top things off perfectly. It's a shame the council haven't got £1Billion to make it happen.

As for shopping in Manchester; the national football museum is well worth a visit which is perfect for leaving your missus in Debenhams whilst you immerse yourselves in the history of our great game.

just like to point out i'm not having a go at stoke-on-trent in some respects we have become a forgotten city stuck between manchester and brum, but we need to reinvent our towns that surround the city centre and link them like suggested above

it's a shame the old loop line and old lines linking the pits were all ripped out, it's strange to say but our public transport 80 years ago was prob better than now

anyway back on topic few bevvies in man then metro to dale sounds like a plan to me

just like to point out i'm not having a go at stoke-on-trent in some respects we have become a forgotten city stuck between manchester and brum, but we need to reinvent our towns that surround the city centre and link them like suggested above

it's a shame the old loop line and old lines linking the pits were all ripped out, it's strange to say but our public transport 80 years ago was prob better than now

anyway back on topic few bevvies in man then metro to dale sounds like a plan to me

SoT is prehistoric in terms of social/leisure facilities and thats mainly because the people making all the decisions are dinosaurs who haven't got a clue what people really want. The council mainly consists of elderly candidates who are set in there ways and keep insisting on clinging to our not so glorious heritage instead of bringing new ideas to the table.

Archived